Four

The ringing of beeps, of fellow cars, ringing through our ears, caused Ryan to awake from his trance and restart the car, continuing to drive calmly along the road to school.

"Ryan?" I asked tentatively. I was extremely cautious because I was worried about how he was going to react.

"What? When? I mean, how?" He stuttered, his disbelief evident.

"You know how. As to the when, I don't know, I only took the test last night." I gritted my teeth, hating the lies that were spewing out of my mouth. And hating myself for the lies I was telling to the one person I really loved.

"Are you sure?" He asked, clicking the indicator of the car. I nodded silently, listening to the faint, 'click, click'. "Well, what are we going to do?" He asked, turning towards me as he pulled into his allocated car parking space.

"You're not going to leave me?" I blurted out.

"What? Where did you hear that from? Why do you think that? I would never leave you, Es." I sat there, my mouth open and gaping at him. He wasn't going to leave me? After everything I had just done? I placed my head in my hands, what had I just done?

"B-b-but, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked him, lifting my head up slightly so that my own eyes met his. He stroked my face lovingly as a frown crossed his face.

"Erm, well, my parents are considering moving back to Australia. I was wondering, well, I know it's kind of rude, but erm, since you have such a big house and everything, I was wondering if I could move in. I'd pay rent and everything. I just, I just, don't want to leave you Es." I felt tears prick my eyes as the truth dawned upon me. Slowly, I turned away from him so he wouldn't see the drips of water falling down my cheek. "Esme, why are you crying?"

Too late, he had seen.

"You kissed Tiffany!" I blurted out, without thinking, my voice high pitched. I turned towards Ryan, his mouth forming a small 'o' shape. "So it's true!" I shrieked. I pulled off my seat belt rather violently and opened my door, slamming it behind me briskly. My little stomp had caused a few heads to turn and as Ryan climbed out of his car, people stopped on the sidewalk in order to watch.

"Esme! That was a mistake!" He shouted after me, chasing behind me, as I walked along the car park. "Esme please." I could hear him pleading behind me, but still I didn't turn towards him. People were pointing in glee now. Entertainment like this didn't come along that often. "Es, don't do this." I had now entered the school and was making my way towards my locker, anger surging through my body whilst red blood pumped through my veins, my heartbeat rapid.

Gradually I reached my large locker, on the inside of the door there were photos of Ryan that I had previously stuck there. As I stood there, not quite sure as to what I was supposed to be retrieving from my locker, I heard the light taps of Ryan's shoes walking fastly along the corridor. Ryan was soon by my side, his arms snaking their way around my waist. I felt his whisper in my ear.

"Es, I love you. Tiffany kissed me and yes, I'll admit, I responded for a second, but it was just a second and it didn't mean anything. You mean the world to me Es. Don't you understand? The reason I'm asking to move in with you is because I don't want to leave you. Obviously, if your parents say no, my parents are willing to buy me an apartment, but I don't want to be away from you. Especially now." He glanced at my stomach and I gave him a look of confusion for a moment. Of course! The baby. In the heat of the moment I had forgotten all about my lie.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, snuggling into his muscular chest. He grasped the top of my head and planted a small kiss upon it.

"We're going to be okay." He told me.

"Ew." A voice shrieked in jealousy, from the other end of the corridor. I rolled my eyes, seeing Tiffany stood there, almost green with jealousy. "Pda." She cried. I rolled my eyes.

"Go away Tiffany." I turned towards my locker, I didn't want to have to deal with her now. Especially as I was coming to the realisation of what I had done. Tiffany strode towards me, a smug expression plastered all over her face. 

"You're perfect boyfriend told you our little secret yet?" She asked. I looked towards Ryan for support, but he had turned towards his own locker in shame.

"Surprisingly yes. He also told me how you were such a bad kisser and threw yourself at him. Desperate much?" I cackled. "Oh and by the way, when did you last comb your hair. I'm sure there's a bird nesting somewhere among those strands." I reviewed Tiffany's platinum blond, no yellow, locks and giggled. It was harsh, I know, but nobody was going to take Ryan away from me.

"Cow." Tiffany whispered, loud enough for a few people to stop and stare. I turned away from her, desperate for this to not turn into a fight.

"Run along, you and I both know that Ryan doesn't want you." I told her, my back still turned. All of a sudden I heard a loud scream.

"Ahhhhhh." Quickly I turned around to see a blond bimbo flying through the air towards me, her fists clenched in fury. Before I knew it, Tiffany was throwing me against a locker whilst I tried to push her away.

"Get off me you tramp!" I shouted at her. "Get off!" I was almost screaming now and I was also certain that the entire school was watching us. My fears were confirmed by the rapturous chants around us.

"Fight, fight, fight" 

Suddenly, I felt Ryan's strong arms breaking us apart.

"Get off her!" He screamed. "For god's sake, get off her. She's pregnant." All of a sudden Tiffany's limbs fell limp as she stared at us in shock, the people chanting around us fell dramatically silent as lots of wide eyes turned towards me.

"Ryan!" I hissed, angry that he had spilled our secret before we'd even had chance to discuss it.

"Hahahaha, slut." I heard Tiffany say as a teacher approached us down the corridors. Tears stung my eyes for what seemed like the millionth time today.

The lie was out.

We had gone public.