improvise

Bellamy

Clarke almost found the ring last night so I decided to hand it off to Kane to hold for me, it was hard to be able to sneak him the small wooden box while she was standing right next to me. She has been stuck to me like glue since we woke up this morning and i've been trying to hide my excitement for tonight. "So if we are right, i should be able to withstand great amounts of radiation without any side effects" Clarke  says snapping me out of my little daydream about tonight.

"Which also means that you could be the next commander if something were to happen to Lexa." I reply and she gives me a sad look. "But you won't participate in the conclave"

"I refuse to kill Aiden no matter what is at stake, even if it wasn't him I would be fighting against other children. How is it fair for me to fight them?" She asks moving her hands more than normal, she must be irritated with that idea like she has explained it a million times already.

"I understand, we'll keep this a need to know." I reply pulling her close to me in the middle of the market and give her a tight squeeze. "How about we go take a shower and start to get ready for the picnic?" I suggest and my heart instantly starts to race remembering that in only an hour or two I'll be on one knee proposing to her.

"Yeah that sounds like a good idea, everyone is coming?" She asks after tip toeing to give me a kiss on my cheek.

"Pretty much everyone, but no talking about war or medicine or planning anything. Tonight is about all of us getting together to get away from everything, we all need to catch up and just talk about drama and the stuff we all used to talk about.  We could even play truth or dare like we did way back then." I chuckle remembering my first kiss with her in front of everyone.

"I doubt that truth or dare now would be as eventful  as it was way back then" She replies with a giggle and slides her hand into mine intertwining our fingers, she must be remembering too.  "I'm sure we'll find something fun to do." she squeezes my hand tightly as we head up towards her chambers.

...

My heart has been racing since we left Polis for our picnic, I keep looking around waiting for Kane and Abby to finally show up so I can finally ask Clarke to marry me. "Why are you so jumpy today?" Clarke asks as I look over my shoulder again.

"I'm just not used to letting my guard down out here." I lie and she pulls me in to a tight hug.

"There is a big group of us and we are all armed, you don't have to worry so much. We'd be able to handle an attack with minimal casualties on our side." She whispers into my ears and I squeeze her back admiring her for trying to calm me.

"I'll try to relax a little." I promise her and give a kiss on her forehead and settle on holding her hand as we all sit around a fire. I look around our group to see everyone talking and laughing while they sip their drinks. Even Lexa and Roan start to talk to each other without relying on others to dictate the conversation. "Lexa and Roan are starting to get along." I whisper to her and her face brightens up with a smile. "Maybe we should try and go on a double date with them to help them get ready for being alone with each other."

"That's a great idea, I'm sure they would appreciate it. They do seem like they are warming up to each other though." she whispers back in reply as she watches them communicate like actual friends. Roan even gets Lexa to laugh and Clarke's smile gets even bigger. "We should ask them tomorrow though we don't want to interrupt their moment." she places her head on my shoulder and I lean mine on top of hers and let out a sigh of relief and happiness, I could stay in this moment forever.

"You didn't tell us we should have worn hiking boots." I hear Kane's voice laughing behind me and Clarke instantly raises her head which hits mine slightly. We both chuckle and rub each other's heads which only makes us start to laugh. We stand up and walk over to greet them and i keep my eyes on Kane's hand that is stuck tightly in his pocket. Clarke goes up to Abby first so Kane and I pretend to greet each other with a hand shake as he shoves the ring into my jacket pocket. Clarke switches to go up and hug Kane and I give Abby a tight hug.

"You've got this, don't be nervous." she whispers to me and I nod slightly and she releases me. 

"We didn't think it was that far of a hike to get here." Raven replies with a smile as she slowly gets up and limps towards us to give them a hug. "It's nice to see you, we've missed you guys back at camp."

"We miss camp too, hopefully we'll be back soon." Abby chuckles kissing her cheek. "Go sit down so I can take a quick look at your leg to make sure the brace isn't causing any problems.." her voice fades away as they walk over to the rover where Raven has the radio.

I look over to the west and see that the sun is beginning to set and my nerves start to go all haywire as Raven comes back carrying a relatively big black box which must be the speaker she made.  Abby trails behind carrying a much smaller box that has a wire attached to Raven's speaker and suddenly the forest is filled with soft music. Clarke and I go back to our spots next to the fire and she bounces with excitement as her ears are filled the music. Clarke watches as Wick takes the box from Raven and he sets it down in a clear space between the logs we sit on. I wait for Clarke's song to play and every one steals glances at me. Some of the looks feel worrisome and others are trying to encourage me and reassure me but I can still feel my stomach in my throat.  Then I hear the beginning of her song but the speaker goes quietly even before the first word.

"Aww that was my favorite song." Clarke groans and Raven frantically starts to attempt to fix the speaker but as the seconds pass I know that its now or never and I have to improvise.

"When your legs don't work like they used to before." I start singing and people look at me in shock for a second, I guess they didn't think i'd have balls to do it without the music. "And I can't sweep you off of your feet. Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love? Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks?" I take a small pause to look at her and she is either in shock or awe because she stares at me like she's never seen me before. I stand up and offer her my hands as an invite and she slowly takes them. I pull her close to me and start to dance with her slowly "And darling I will be loving you 'til we're seventy. And baby my heart could still fall as hard at 23. And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways. Maybe just the touch of a hand. Oh me I fall in love with you every single day. And I just wanna tell you I am."

"So honey now" everyone else joins in with me and the words of Clarke's favorite song dance around as we slowly sway together near the fire. We all sing her favorite song for her as a tear slips down her cheek and I know this is my opportunity so I take a small step back from her and wipe her tear with my thumb and pick up her hands in mine. I give her a reassuring smile as she looks at me confused for a second and I drop to one knee.

"Clarke Griffin you have made me a better man, you have shown me a whole new perspective and you have saved me from myself and quite literally have saved my life on more than a handful of occasions. I want to continue to grow with you and learn how to be the best I can be, because you make me want to be a better person. I can't  picture a future without you by my side and your hand in mine. So Clarke Griffin, will you do me the honor of being my wife?" I ask her as tears roll down both of our faces.