|Six| "Are You Free?"

"Hey, dad," Sofi asked, smiling brightly and clutching Mr. Carrot close to her chest as she peered up at the older.

"Uh, yeah?" Fanta asked back, leaning forward and focusing on the young kid in front of her.

"Are you free at like, eight PM on Friday?" Sofi asked, innocently, tilting her head and retrieving a carrot from the inside pocket of her waistcoat and biting down on it loudly as she awaited an answer.

"Um, yes?" Fanta responded, eyebrows furrowing, already a scolding for Cookie forming in her mind about teaching Sofi things, when Sofi turns on her dramatically on her heel to face Mary, putting her Fanta at her back.

"What about you?" She asked. Mary looked up, seemingly a little shocked at being suddenly addressed, and made confused, meaningful eye-contact with Fanta over Sofi's head and the coffee table between their two chairs.

After seeming to have reached an agreement with Fanta, Mary refocuses on Sofi, "Yes, I am," Mary answers.

Sofi's eyes brighten, "great!" she says, jumping forward on her heels a little, "because I'm not. You two go on without me." Fanta had already opened her mouth to ask Sofi what she was talking about, but the youngest of them was already on her way out of the room.

"Enjoy your date!" She called back at them, just before she disappeared around the doorframe and out of sight.

Fanta and Mary were left staring at where her back had vanished from, and there was a long silence before Fanta finally cleared her throat, "so, uh, you're free?"

She had barely said the words when there was a hushed, muffled "yes!" from outside the room, accompanied with a slap, presumably a high-five, and other various sounds of celebration.