Appendix: Period Vocabulary

Here I'm listing old words that got lost in time, so you don't get lost too. ;D

Please let me know if I'm missing something!

Pirates, Privateers, Corsairs, Buccaneers, Filibusters

We've all grown up convinced that all these words meant the same. But they don't, so let's see if we can define each of them.

Pirates: independent sailors that went around the seven seas, forcibly looting on other ships and coastal towns for their own benefit.

Buccaneers: French settlers in La Hispaniola. They were boar hunters, and had a particular technique to dry and smoke the meat of their prey: they buccaneered it.
When the Spaniards kicked them out, the buccaneers crossed to Tortuga and settled there. But since the island was so small, and at the beginning they had to share it with the English, the hunting didn't thrive. So they decided to try a new line of business: they became pirates.
So, some pirates had been buccaneers, just like some buccaneers became pirates --and quit buccaneering, basically because boar is hard to come across at sea.
However, not all pirates had been buccaneers, and not all buccaneers became pirates. So you were a buccaneer or you were a pirate. You couldn't be both at the same time.

Filibusters: the word comes from the Dutch vrijbuiter, which means freebooter. Fribustier in French, later changed to flibustier ---->filibuster in English.
They were French independent pirates that berthed in Tortuga. They called themselves Brethren of the Coast.
So, all filibusters were pirates, some of them had been buccaneers, and some of them became corsairs.

Corsair/Privateer:
A privateer was a pirate captain that received a Letter of Marque of a European king.
It's sort of accepted that privateer refers to English pirate captains with a letter of marque, while corsairs were French.
So, all corsairs were pirates.  In the Caribbean, corsairs had been filibusters, and some of them had also been buccaneers. They counted themselves as Brethren of the Coast.
But becoming a corsair meant you were not a filibuster anymore (because filibusters were all freebooters, independent pirates).