31

Cecilia was sitting to dinner with Laventry and Harry, who had come to congratulate her on her birthday, when they heard the merry voices and laughter around the house moving toward the garden and the backdoor. Tomasa didn't answer her call, so she got up to go see herself what was going on. But she'd barely taken a step when the door to the dining room opened wide. A moment later she fell in her daughter's tight embrace, while Morris, Maxó and De Neill waited a step behind to greet her in a more proper way.

After thanking them for the presents they'd brought her, she invited them all to sit at the table. Tomasa and Colette hurried to set dishes and glasses for them, and brought more food. Cecilia sat back down, still holding her daughter's hand with a bright grin.

While taking his seat, Morris gave Laventry the chest they'd seized at the Spanish brigantine.

"Presents for me too?" the corsair asked, surprised.

"With greetings from Puerto Rico Governor," Marina replied.

Laventry's eyes widened, but Cecilia's look stopped him before he opened the chest lid. He set it aside, nodding, and raised his glass to toast with the others to their host.

Later, at the library, while Tomasa delivered tea for the women and liquor for the men, Laventry opened the chest. He gawked as he read the letter and gave it to Harry.

"We're taking Maracaibo," he said, final. "As soon as the Armada heads north, we're crossing behind their back."

"If we have the letter, the Admiral ignores they're expected in Portobelo," Maxó said.

"The brigantine was still in shape to sail," Marina replied. "It must have reached Maracaibo already."

"But I don't know whom they gave their message to," said Harry. "Hinault swears he saw the Lion sailing across the Windward Passage in the middle of the squall, heading to Santo Domingo. Meaning the Armada can't be too far away."

Morris noticed Marina's frown. "Squall?" he repeated, to distract them from her.

Laventry flashed an ironic smirk. "The clouds flee from the Phantom and come rain down on us."

"When was that?" asked Maxó.

"Three days ago," Harry replied. "He must have reached Santo Domingo yesterday morning, after it cleared up."

Marina forced herself to pay attention, but she could think about only one thing: the Lion in Santo Domingo! They'd crossed courses! She'd missed him for hours!

"Maybe he was running an errand," De Neill said. "Or transporting officers."

"We need to know if he was alone or as a scout," Maxó said. "I don't exactly fancy waking up to the Armada at the bay."

"I'll go take a look," Laventry said. "If he's alone, it means the Armada is still patrolling the mainland. They'll get the order to go to Portobelo. And we'll take Maracaibo."