17

The day broke as the Sovereign barreled down off Monte Cristi, only sixty miles east of Cayona. Marina woke up to the crew's bustle. She sat up on her hammock, rubbing her eyes, surprised she'd been able to fall into such a deep sleep as the pirates'. Knowing Wan Claup's plan, she wore long trousers, boots and a clean shirt. At the kitchen, she thanked Pierre with a sleepy smile when he welcomed her with tea and biscuits.

Nobody loafed around that morning. The gunners checked and readied the cannons, others brought gunpowder, ammunition and fuses to each gun. Below, a group of pirates wrapped gunpowder in paper and sharpened blades. Others loaded muskets, harquebuses and pistols, gathering them in baskets that were taken above deck. On her way to the hatch, Marina swallowed the biscuits, gulped up her tea and grabbed a basket full of loaded pistols.

On the weather deck, some cleared the way from anything that wasn't essential, and others secured whatever they found loose. The baskets with guns and ammunition were delivered along both sides of the ship.

Wan Claup saw Marina's clothing from the bridge and turned to Morris, who blushed up to his ears when he was forced to face the captain's frown.

"Damn, boy! You told her! Can't you say no to her for a change?" Wan Claup grunted.

While coming and going from the armory, Marina saw that only one of the warriors remained in sight after them. The Sovereign kept the distance, but should they strike a single jib or try any turn, it'd come in range of the warrior's eighteen-pound chasers within a couple hours.

Soon everything was set for the upcoming battle, and a tense calm filled the ship. Marina fought her anxiety back. Around her, the pirates remained sharp and ready, but not overly worried. They trusted their strength and skill. But above all they trusted their captain. He'd know what to do to get them out of that situation alive, and maybe even with flying colors.

The sun was close to its zenith when Briand sent her to the bridge. Wan Claup waved her over and walked with her up to the taffrail.

"You're leaving with Morris within the hour," the corsair said. "Once help's on the way, I want you to stay on land."

The girl nodded, lowering her eyes with a quick grimace. Wan Claup pointed at the ship chasing them down.

"See that warrior, pearl? It's the Lion." His niece's face told him she'd heard the tales about the Spanish ship. "She's sunk a dozen pirate ships this year alone. It's a cunning, dangerous foe, and I need to know you're safe to focus on getting through this alive."

She nodded again. "I know, Uncle, and I understand. Fear not, I'll wait for you at the port."

Wan Claup smiled and unbuttoned his shirt's collar, showing a thin golden chain. He took it off and grabbed one of Marina's hand to place it in her palm. She saw the discreet pendant hanging from it: a pearl mounted on a nest made of threads of gold.

"Your father gave it to me when we baptized you," he said, still smiling. "He used to say that had he not set sail, he would've never had the fortune of being your father. That's why he called you Marina and his little pearl: you were the treasure the sea had given him."

She was moved, listening to him with her eyes on the pearl nesting in her hand.

"When I accepted to be your godfather, Manuel gave me this pendant and made me swear I'd never take it off. He wanted me to always keep in mind that I'd sworn to God that I'd protect his pearl, his treasure, with my life."

A tear rolled down the girl's cheek when she met her uncle's pale blue eyes. "Then why are you giving it to me?" she asked.

"So you can give it back to me when we meet again in Cayona," Wan Claup replied softly. He studied her for a moment longer and smiled again. "I'm proud of you, my pearl."

Marina forgot the crew only steps away and the Lion hunting them down. She held Wan Claup tight, pressing her face to his chest. He held her back without a word.

"Be careful, Uncle, I beg you. Be careful and come back. Promise?"

He kissed her forehead. "You have my word. We'll meet again before nightfall."

The shallop left the Sovereign at noon, hardly a mile away from Tortuga's easternmost cape, and set course to the west

The shallop left the Sovereign at noon, hardly a mile away from Tortuga's easternmost cape, and set course to the west. Then Wan Claup ordered to turn north, to sail past the island into open sea. He wanted to be away from the shore and reefs, to maneuver freely when the hour came to face the Lion down.

Morris and Marina hoisted the only sail while half the men with them bent over the oars. The others had muskets in hand, to keep watch until they had to replace the oarsmen. They needed to keep the pace in order to reach Cayona in under two hours.

Marina sat at the bow in time to see the Sovereign sail behind the eastern cape. An unknown anguish threatened to overwhelm her, and she took a hand to the pendant Wan Claup had hung from her neck when he'd said goodbye to her.

The oarsmen's strength and the good wind helped them, and soon they entered Cayona bay. Seeing the Royal Eagle not a hundred yards away fed their hopes, especially when they saw it had just moored and the crew was still onboard. They shouted out at Laventry's men and the corsair left his cabin to come to meet them.

As soon as he knew what was happening, he started shouting commands to weigh anchor and get underway.

"Morris, you go on to the port and spread the word. Find Harry. He'll take care of organizing the others. And send word to the commander of the fort as well, just in case. I'll go for Wan Claup myself. If he's really facing that accursed Lion, all odds are against the Sovereign."

"Come, pearl!" Morris called the girl, hurrying back to the ladder.

Laventry saw the girl's beleaguered face and shook his head. "Go, boy. Leave her here."

"The captain ordered her to stay on land."

"Well, this is my damn ship and I'm captain here. And I say the pearl's coming with me. Now go! I'll look after her."

Morris glared at Marina when she stepped back, leaving Laventry between them. But he had no choice, so he hurried back to the boat and headed to the docks. Laventry's lieutenant was all over, shouting orders. The crew ran around, weighing the anchor and hoisting sails. Others climbed the rigging to shout the news out to the nearby ships.

"Alas, the Armada is coming! They're coming from the east! We need to stop them! Spread the word! The Armada is coming!"

Three more ships got ready to follow. They were smaller boats, with only forty men and under ten guns. But at that moment, everything came in handy.

When Marina explained Wan Claup's plan to Laventry, the corsair instructed his lieutenant to sail west and around the northern shore of the island. Then he led the girl to the cabin. He opened his chest and grabbed a light sword and a misericorde.

"Here, pearl. Today we'll see if you've learned anything useful. But for all you hold dear, please be careful. I don't want to save your uncle only to have him chop my jewels off for throwing you into the brawl."