11

The tavern was full like any other day by nightfall. But this time there was no loud voices or laughter inside. Nobody played dice nor bet on roosters. The girls had gotten a free afternoon. And outside, flanking the closed door, Maxó and De Neill kept everybody from disturbing the meeting taking place inside.

The pirates listened seriously to their captain. Nobody had any questions, and when Wan Claup asked them to raise their hands if they were willing to sail with him on a patrol to defend Tortuga, each and every one of them replied holding their fists high.

Wan Claup smiled and took a moment to sip the excellent Oporto the owner had opened for him.

"That's not all," he said with his usual poise. "My niece Marina will be joining us as cabin boy. All of you know her, but I'm not forcing anyone to sail with a woman. So those of you who are not interested just have to say so. However, I need to know right now, because once we set sail, I won't allow gossiping or quarrels onboard. Those who'd rather step back will be released from their commitment to the Sovereign, and will be welcome back whenever they want. Johannes Laventry and Harry Jones are completing their crews as well. No women. So you can go see them tomorrow at the docks if you want to enroll on the Royal Eagle or the Sparta." Wan Claup signaled Morris, who stood near the door, and smiled to speak in a firm way. "Thank you very much to all of you. What follows is only for those staying in my crew."

Morris opened the tavern door and stood there, folded arms, meaning to memorize every face that was about to walk out by his side. A dozen men killed their drinks, knuckled their forehead at Wan Claup and left. The others saw them off with sharp taunts and asked for more drinks. The corsair noticed Charron's sideways glances at the door, but did nothing to help the man make up his mind.

The meeting didn't last much longer. They only had to go over the necessary chores to set sail within three days and decide who would take each. When they were about to leave, the Sovereign's master gunner Jean La Ville raised his hand to get Wan Claup's attention.

"Where will the pearl sleep, Cap'n?" he asked. "We cannot hang her hammock with ours."

"Why not?" Wan Claup replied and smiled again, seeing his men's faces.

"You expect the pearl to sleep with us?" Old Hans asked in shock.

"She can hang her hammock over the aft chasers."

"But that's right by the hatch companionway! We all go up and down that way!" argued Sovereign's surgeon Charlie Bones.

Wan Claup could but chuckle. All of a sudden those seasoned pirates, with many more scars than scruples looked about to cross themselves.

"Then she'll better get up early, right?" he replied softly. "Come, gentlemen. Don't worry about her. Rest assured she'll be happy even if we hang her hammock from a crosstree. Go now. I'll see you tomorrow at the dock."

While the men left, Wan Claup stopped his lieutenant.

"I expected more honesty from you, Charron," he said, lowering his voice so nobody else would hear. "I know you don't agree with letting Marina join the crew, yet you didn't say so. And I can't trust a lieutenant who keeps things from me. So you're dismissed."

The man faced Wan Claup as if the corsair had backhanded him. Wan Claup held his eyes without a blink, until Charron looked down and nodded, tipping his hat at him.

"Aye, aye, sir," he murmured, and left.

Morris waited for all of them to leave and joined Wan Claup.

"What's with Charron, Cap'n? He looked like his mother died."

Wan Claup offered him Oporto and shrugged. "I don't need a lieutenant who doesn't dare to speak up when he has to, even to tell me off." He studied Morris with a slight frown, remembering the night he'd found the young man with Marina in the barn, two years earlier. Morris had dared to speak up even though Wan Claup was mad at him. "You'll take his place, boy."