52

As soon as they heard the Spaniards were back to their boats, Bones, Pierre and some more jumped off their hammocks, where they'd played wounded. One of them hurried to the man on the gunpowder barrels. He was actually wounded, and it was hard for him to keep holding the lantern up. Another one sneaked to the weather deck to make sure the Spaniards were gone.

Bones looked out the larboard hole and let out a low whistle, while the others threw ropes through the hole down to the water. Jean and his party climbed back onboard, frozen stiff after such a long while in the cold stormy waters. As they got dry clothes and some rum to warm up again, the others told them what had transpired.

"Now what?" asked a man wrapped in a blanket, still shaking so badly he was about to spill his rum.

"We can do nothing while the frigate is in sight," Jean replied.

"That'll be two hours tops," said Bones.

"Then we're getting out of this damn squall and head to Curaçao," said Briand.

Many voices argued. They wanted to try to rescue Marina.

"Look at us, brothers!" Jean said, cutting them off. "We'd only die trying and get the Phantom sunk! Right what she wanted to prevent! Do you feel like daring her father's spirit? I know I don't."

"We should meet Laventry's fleet near Aruba," Briand explained to calm them down. "What do you think he'll do when we tell him the pearl is captive in Maracaibo?"

On the Trinidad, Lorenzo welcomed his friends with an abundant dinner, and they ate as they commented on what had happened

On the Trinidad, Lorenzo welcomed his friends with an abundant dinner, and they ate as they commented on what had happened. The three of them found it odd that only half a dozen able pirates were left, but the numbers seemed sort of fine, considering the battle kills and their many wounded.

"The last thing we needed was a host of dying dogs reeking in our hold," Lorenzo said. "You did fine, leaving them behind. The sea will take good care of them. And we have the infamous Pearl of the Caribbean and a bunch more to hang in Maracaibo."

Alonso noticed Castillano seemed lost in thought, and agreed with Lorenzo so he wouldn't notice his friend's mood too.

"Speaking of the bitch, Hernan," said Lorenzo, refilling their glasses. "Luis told me she's the Ghost's daughter. So feel free to take her to the riving."

Castillano forced a smile and raised his glass to him, like thanking his gesture. "I sure will, in due time."

"You shouldn't take long. Else, my officers will have the best fun."