65

Morris and the others managed to evade the patrols. Sneaking through backyards and narrow alleys between houses, they finally found themselves only one street away from the harbor. They paused behind a tavern to catch their breath. After delivering the keys to them, Alonso was leading the search, and it was plain to see he was determined to capture them and throw them back into the dungeon he himself had opened.

They were trying to decide if they should wait there until the soldiers finished canvassing that street and left, when the backdoor opened. A man came out to empty a trash bin and found two pistols and three muskets pointing at him. To the fugitives' surprise, the man didn't even flinch. He glanced past them at the alley, signaled them to keep quiet and went back in.

Morris' peremptory look kept Maxó's mouth shut, as the pirate was about to summon every soldier many miles around to voice what they all wondered—help or ambush?

They didn't have to wait long to find out.

A few minutes later, three women reached the backyard from the alley with a veiled lantern. They uncovered it only for a quick inspection of the pirates. A hat covered Oliver's head and a cloak was wrapped around Morris' shoulders.

One of the women opened the backdoor and stuck her head in. "These two are a disgrace," she whispered.

Several female arms came out to catch Maxó and De Neill, who were dragged in with crooked smiles. One of the women took Gerrit's hand and led him toward the alley at the other side of the backyard. The women left took Morris and Oliver the way they'd come. At the end of the alley, they parted in opposite directions.

Morris followed his guide with no questions through dark passage ways that ran parallel to the harbor street, up to the next cross-street. There they halted sharply. A patrol was coming down the street toward the harbor and they were only twenty yards away.

The woman stuck her back to the wall and pulled Morris closer. She grabbed his hair to make him lower his head and kissed him. He decided they should look convincing, so he kissed her back, sticking to her body.

The patrol paused when they saw them, and resumed their way when they heard the woman's fake moans. Morris stepped back as soon as they got out of sight, his eyes lingering on the daring smile of the woman's generous lips.

"I can see why Doña Dolores sent for you," she said.

"You know where I can find her?"

"I'm taking you there. She's two streets away from here, waiting for the pearl."

In a pleasure house at the very edge of the city, Dolores Mondrego heard a cart coming closer at the ox's slow pace and stood by the backdoor with a pistol, flanked by two more armed women

In a pleasure house at the very edge of the city, Dolores Mondrego heard a cart coming closer at the ox's slow pace and stood by the backdoor with a pistol, flanked by two more armed women. That night the proud lady had put aside her regal dresses for a simple red skirt and a wrapped corset, which looked about to make the collar of her white linen undershirt drop at any sudden move. The cart stopped and she readied to open the spyhole. But she didn't need to confirm who was coming.

Outside, a man kicked the door as he thundered, "Open, dammit! The child is in bad shape!"

That granted Castillano immediate entrance. He stormed into the brothel's kitchen. He carried Marina in his arms, wrapped in his cloak, still cramped and only half-conscious.

"A hot bath and a doctor! Hurry!"

A woman waved for him to follow her and he rushed up the stairs, toward the door she opened for him.

"Clean sheets! A shirt! And hurry with that bath!" he ordered, before kicking the door closed.

It was a room meant for wealthy customers, and it included the exotic luxury of a bath tub at the other end of the room. Castillano kicked a footstool up to the tub and leaned forward to lie the girl in it. But Marina groaned and grasped his coat with a cramped hand. He held her tight against his chest once more.

"Easy, child, I'm right here," he whispered, trying to sound soothing. "This'll help you feel better." He lay her down gently in the empty tub and held her hand in his. "Now you're safe, with friends," he added. "They'll take care of you here."

Dolores came in with two women carrying buckets. Castillano checked the water temperature before letting them pour it slowly into the tub. Marina shook from head to toes when she felt the liquid. She was burning in fever and breathed in sharp gasps.

"They're already went for the doctor," Dolores said.

"More water," Castillano commanded, seeing they'd only filled half of the tub. "She needs to be submerged."

The women hurried out.

"What happened to her, Captain?" asked Dolores.

"I don't know," he grunted. "I found her in a pillory, kneeling on sharp pebbles, soaked in cold water."

Dolores covered her mouth, her eyes full of tears when she saw Marina moved her head toward him every time she heard his voice. The water turned muddy with dirt from the sack and the dried blood softening on the girl's feet and legs. Castillano sat down on the footstool without letting go of her hand, and caressed her cropped hair clumsily to calm her down.

"Blood!" Dolores muttered in shock. "Holy Mother of God! Do you think they—?"

"I don't know!" he snarled.

The women brought enough hot water to fill the tub and left, closing the door behind them. Dolores kneeled by it opposite Castillano.

"How can I help, Captain?"

"How would I know!"

Castillano tried to rub Marina's legs, but she groaned and tried to curl up. Dolores touched her gently in the warm water. When she removed her hand, she showed Castillano a sharp splinter.

"Her legs are covered in this," she said, lowering her voice. "And the blood from the cuts stuck the robe to her skin. If we don't let the water soften it, we may skin her."

Castillano's face was a volume of curses. He lowered Marina's hand to hold it underwater. The girl groaned but didn't resist. He rubbed her fingers, helping them loosen up and stretch slowly. Dolores tried to do the same with Marina's other hand, but as soon as she touched her, the girl shivered, groaning and trying to move away from her.

Castillano caressed her head again. "Easy, child. It's Dolores. She only wants to help you."

Marina calmed down, but she would stir again if Dolores as much as tried to touch her, so the woman didn't insist.