40

When Marina went back out, all the pirates turned to her, waiting for her orders.

"It's a frigate, right?" she asked, hurrying to the bridge.

"Or a warrior we haven't heard of," Morris replied.

"Put us about and head north, De Neill. Circle the reefs to the west," Marina said, while Briand hallooed the men to the rigging.

"Aye, pearl!"

Marina snorted while the Phantom veered. She didn't like to run away from anything or anyone, but if they didn't turn around, they'd come across the frigate in the middle of the night. She had no idea what was a Spanish warship doing alone in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, when the Armada was supposed to be past Providencia by then, and sailing near the coast. It didn't matter. The frigate was there and she had to deal with her.

"They saw us! She's turning!"

"I'll be damned," Morris growled.

"Don't worry, we'll drag her on our wake," said Marina, as they watched the Spanish ship maneuver. "If we didn't lose her by sunrise, at least we can face her in broad daylight."

"It's a damn frigate, Marina."

"And this is the damn Phantom. Maybe it'll be harder than the Lion, but we can take her. And we'll clear Laventry's way."

The night closed over the Caribbean Sea and the full moon painted the Phantom's sails in a pale silver as it ran north. Even unable to shorten the distance, the frigate didn't give up the chase.

There was no songs and no dice that night. After a quick dinner, Morris doubled the night watch and sent the rest of the crew to sleep. Marina refused to leave the bridge. He dropped by the kitchen and joined her back, bringing bread and cheese. And an apple that made her smile.

After midnight, the Phantom hit better wind and the frigate's lamp disappeared in the light fog clouding the horizon.

"It's still there," Marina murmured, looking south. "We'll see her lights again when they reach this area."

"We should turn east as soon as we surpass Jamaica," Morris said.

"Good idea. We'll wait for dawn. I don't want to try anything that could slow us down at night."

"Sleeping doesn't slow us down."

Marina chuckled. "You go get some rest. I couldn't shut my eyes even if I tried, and we need one of us fresh in the morning."

Morris sat on the floor, folded his arms and rested his back against the taffrail. "Wake me up with breakfast, darling," he said, winking at her.

Marina let out a heartfelt laughter and messed his hair. Sometimes she wondered what she would do if one day Morris told her he wouldn't sail with her anymore. The sea wouldn't be the same without him by her side. Without his experience and his understanding that never needed explanations, without his unyielding affection, without his good spirits.

While her friend snoozed a couple of steps away, she rested her arms on the taffrail, her eyes captive of the southern horizon and that persistent agitation that wouldn't let her calm down.

The first line of light showed in the east when the lookout at the foretop called, "Bow ahoy! Sails dead ahead!"

Morris jolted awake, only in time to see Marina's heels as she ran to the weather deck. A moment later he saw her climb the ratlines to the foretop. Her voice from up there set everybody in motion.

"Beat to quarters! Two frigates! Philip, one point alarboard! Strike sails! We need to cut our speed by half!"

Morris rang the bell as to wake up the Windward Islands across the Caribbean Sea and waited for Marina, who hurried down the shrouds as fast as she could.

"Only one point alarboard?" he asked. "You're saving the turn?"

"Yes. But we'll be in range in thirty minutes anyway," Marina replied. "Bring me Jean and De Neill."

A moment later the four of them gathered on the bridge, while Briand supervised the works on the rigging.

"Jean, I need all the swivel guns on the starboard gunwale, and incendiary bombs," Marina said. "Have your men lift the butt of the cannons below deck on that side, to hit their waterline."

"Aye, pearl!"

The master gunner ran to the hatch and the girl turned to De Neill, who nodded, smiling.

"I got you, pearl." He winked. "Leave it to me."

"Have Philip assist you."

"Stern ahoy! Frigate dead astern!" called the maintop lookout.

"Really!" Marina didn't even look back. "Suddenly they all want to dance?"

"They'll have to wait." Morris smiled. "I'm going below."

"Remind the gunners to stay low, so they'll have more cover."

"I'll send you the bombs as soon as they're ready."

"A dozen will do."

Morris left the bridge, still smiling. They had half the Armada upon them and Marina didn't look the least bit afraid, but sharp smart. He would've liked to ask what she had in mind, what De Neill had already guessed. But he'd soon see it with his own eyes. Her quick orders gave him a good idea about the plan. And if a miracle made it work, he could already hear everybody gossiping how the spirits of her father and Wan Claup had told her in her sleep what to do.

Marina stood by the handrail and studied her crew. Striking sails had given them fifteen priceless minutes before entering the shot range of the frigates coming from the north. Despite having three frigates racing to sink them, the pirates got ready for the battle like nothing serious happened.

"Gentlemen!" she called, raising her voice in a firm tone. All the pirates paused to turn to her. "Leave the blades, for we're not boarding the first two frigates, only the third," she said, pointing her thumb over her shoulder. "Now listen: I know a way to get us out of this alive and in one piece. But in order to do so, I will need each and every one of you. I need you to follow my commands without questions and without hesitation. I need you to do your part better than ever before. Like our lives depended on it!" The pirates chuckled. "Can I count on you or should I hoist a white flag?"

"We're here to follow you to hell, pearl!" shouted Old Hans from a cannon.

"Hail the Pearl of the Caribbean!" shouted Oliver.

"Aye!" all the pirates echoed with their fists up high.

"Down south, half a thousand Brethren of the Coast gather to take a twenty-gun fort. The same that mock you for letting a woman command you," Marina said. "What say you? Should we make a little history and show the world what we're made of? I'm more than ready to try! For I have the best ship of the Caribbean! And the best warriors of the seven seas!"

The shouting all over the Phantom grew deafening until the foretop lookout cried, "Warning shot!"

"All hands down!" Marina ordered.

Everybody threw themselves down, just in time to let a small cannon ball whistle through the rigging, causing no harm. Marina jumped back to her feet.

"Bombs ready, pearl!" Maxó said from the aft hatch. He stepped aside to give way for two gunners to climb on deck with buckets full of ammunition for the swivel guns. "At your command below deck," he added with an encouraging smile.

Marina nodded, smiling back at him. It didn't make sense. It was plain ridiculous. But for some reason she felt incredibly alive.

"Briand! Sails?"

"At your command, pearl!"

"De Neill?"

The pirate faked a snore.

The girl laughed heartily. "On three, gentlemen!"

The pirates counted at the top of their lungs.