26

Marina changed her clothes and braided her hair again, but she stayed in her cabin until she heard the preparations for a possible fight were over. Then she walked out and went back to the bridge, where Morris waited for her.

All the pirates turned to her again. And a meaningful silence overcame up to the last murmur. There was something special about that figure clad in black on the bridge. Reminding them she was the daughter of a legendary captain, commanding a legendary ship, with the sword of another legendary sailor hanging from her side. It caused a suggestion none of them could fight.

Marina didn't smile at them. She knew that what happened from that moment on would define whether she had any chance to keep sailing. It was her one and only shot to earn the respect of those tough, unscrupulous men.

"How are we going?" she asked to no one in particular.

"They'll be in range in under an hour, pearl," Maxó replied from the helm, ready to assist De Neill.

"Don't speed up. Once in range, we'll make a warning shot and only then we'll make all sails, so they won't have a chance to run." The girl's dark eyes moved over the hardened faces looking up at her. "If the merchantman surrenders, we're boarding her on boats. And once we're sure there's no danger, we'll take the Phantom to her side. We'll keep from any unnecessary violence. Nobody is to mistreat a single passenger or sailor." She paused to give them time to nod. "We'll lock them up in the hold and grab all valuable objects, weapons and ammunitions we find. Remember these orders, for I don't want to see you wasting time, asking around what to do."

"Aye, pearl," they all replied.

Marina frowned, tilting her head as if she hadn't heard them.

"Aye, pearl!" Briand shouted, and the others echoed him.

"Now heed my words, gentlemen," she said, and all of them sensed the edge in her voice. "I won't suffer any disobedience. So if any of you is thinking about playing smart and keeping a jewel, touching a woman or beating a man for no reason, he'll do better not coming back onboard, for I'll flog him myself until he begs to be thrown to the sea. Understood?"

"Aye, pearl!" Jean shouted, his fist held high, and the others joined him right away.

Marina stepped back to where Morris nodded at her. "Nicely spoken, pearl."

"Now I have to keep it," she said. "They trusted me by enrolling. Now I need to earn not only their trust, but also their respect."

"Then start by trusting them too," Morris replied.

Like Marina had said, the merchantman surrendered as soon as the Phantom hailed her with a cannon shot from the fore chaser and showed the black flag along with the French colors

Like Marina had said, the merchantman surrendered as soon as the Phantom hailed her with a cannon shot from the fore chaser and showed the black flag along with the French colors. The Phantom made sail and seemed to jump on the defenseless ship, catching up with her in only minutes.

Marina left Briand in charge and led the boarding party with Morris on three boats full of heavily-armed pirates. They boarded the merchantman, finding no resistance. The crew had gathered around the mainmast, and all raised their hands to show they were unarmed.

Marina ordered a musket shot, for Briand to know it was safe to bring the Phantom. Then she approached the crew, that waited surrounded by pirates led by Maxó. The Spanish sailors watched in surprise the efficient swiftness of the pirates to spread over the whole ship, no violence, no yelling, and no hesitation either. Maxó allowed the captain to step up toward Marina. She hadn't unsheathed her sword, and greeted the man with both hands behind her back.

Her heart hammered in her chest ruthlessly, since she was so aware of all the eyes from both crews were on her, watching how she behaved. She knew what she wanted to do. She just hoped her crew wouldn't think it foolish and decided to quit the Phantom as soon as they were back to Tortuga.

The Spanish captain opened his mouth to speak, but his brain finally processed what his eyes showed: that was a woman. A pirate woman. And the woman was in charge.

"Mademoiselle," he muttered, tipping his hat at her. He tried a clumsy French. "We're a crew of only thirty, and ten passengers, and— I only wanted to beg you— To call on your good will— Ask you to not harm—"

Marina smiled at him as if she were dealing with a slow child and spoke in Spanish. "Your ship and your lives are yours, Captain," she said. "And as long as your men don't try to play bold, you have nothing to fear. You'll be free to resume your course as soon as we're done loading your values."

The captain didn't hide his surprise, and looked up at Morris for confirmation. Marina would've slapped him. The fool needed another man to vouch for the woman's words. Morris' face worked like a backhand.

"I'm sorry," the man muttered, lowering his eyes.

She chose to ignore his disrespect. "Tell me, Captain, are there any women onboard?"

The man frowned, suspicious. "Aye, two."

Marina traded a look with Morris, who made a sign to Maxó. The pirate hurried below deck without a word.

"Do you sail this route regularly?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'll ask a favor of you, then. Should you come across your Windward Fleet, please let the captain of the Lion know that the Phantom is looking for him."

The man's eyes widened. "The Ghost's ship!" he whispered, frightened.

Marina smiled at him again. "I'm glad you remember my father. Now, please, allow my men to take you below with your crew."

The man could only nod before Morris took him back to the group of sailors. Then the pirates led them all to the hatch.

Marina lingered on the merchantman, making sure everything was done according to her orders. And she had to admit her crew exceeded her expectations by far. Those who had sailed under Wan Claup as well as the newcomers behaved in such an imposing, confident way that they didn't need any kind of violence.

When the last pistol and the last golden ring was onboard the Phantom, Marina called to retreat and was the last one to cross the gangplank between both ships, ordering to cut the merchantman loose.

That night the pirates had their rum ration doubled, and after dinner Marina left the cabin with Morris and Briand to join those having fun on the weather deck. Oliver saw her coming and played a quick, merry tune on his flute. Charlie Bones followed with his violin. Maxó took a funny bow and reached out to her.

"Would you dance with me, pearl?"

Marina had changed her ominous black garments for brown breeches, a sleeveless shirt and her leather sandals. She accepted and danced with Maxó. The pirates circled them, clapping and laughing. When Oliver was out of breath and Bones' fingers were nearly bleeding, they had no other choice but to stop playing. Marina and Maxó halted, laughing and panting.

"Hail the captain!" De Neill yelled, raising his mug. "Hail the pearl!"

"Hail the pearl!"