10

Cecilia dismissed Tomasa and Colette and she herself served tea for Wan Claup and his friends, who lingered talking in the dining room after dinner. None of them even blinked when she sat down at the table with the men, and they kept discussing the subject that worried them more than usual: the Windward Fleet.

The Aquisgran treaty had ended the Devolution War between Spain and France a year earlier. But that was Europe. In the Caribbean, the Brethren of the Coast still preyed on Spanish vessels, which always carried the best plunder. While Spaniards took to the gallows each and every pirate they captured, never minding about details like nationality. And the shameful defeat they'd suffered against Henry Morgan had caused an escalation in hostilities.

Looked like Mansvelt's old lieutenant was trying to emulate L'Olonnais. Like the attack he'd led against Chagres and Portobelo hadn't been enough, a year later, in the spring, he'd attacked Maracaibo and Gibraltar.

The Armada's largest vessels waited for Morgan's lot outside the Lake of Maracaibo. But the privateer had sent a fire ship ahead, which had burned down one of the Spanish galleons. The Spaniards ended up setting their second galleon on fire themselves, to keep Morgan from sizing it, but they couldn't stop him from capturing the remaining frigate.

After that, the Windward Fleet had recruited smaller vessels, frigates and warriors already serving in the Caribbean, to complete its ranks. And ever since, it had changed its strategy completely. From the toothless defensive fleet pirates and corsairs were used to, the Armada was becoming an effective fleet, definitely offensive. Looked like the new blood had improved both the tactics and the moral of the Spaniards. And some of the young officers were already making a name of their own, hunting down Brethren of the Coast, Jamaicans and Dutchmen from Curaçao. All of which translated to the freebooters berthing in Tortuga and Port Royal taking major hits.

"They say the worst of them is the Lion." Harry saw Laventry's mocking smirk and explained, "It's the name of the ship, and they call the captain after it. They say the boy is a true demon."

"That's what they say about us," said Wan Claup, skeptic.

"What about the rumors of an attack against the island?" asked Cecilia. "Everybody talks about it in Cayona. I even heard the Governor is planning a draft to man Fort-de-Rocher."

"The same in Port Royal," Laventry said. "But they already know they can't expect any kind of help to keep the island if the Spaniards want to take it back. Governor Modyford appointed Morgan as Jamaica's admiral, if you can believe it. Now de midget has Modyford handing out letters of marque like crazy to every scoundrel he brings around. And that moron Modyford plays along, just to feel he's got anything of a fleet to defend the island."

"However, the English wouldn't be surprised to wake up to the Armada at their port any given day," said Harry.

"We should do something about it," said Wan Claup. "Take each an area and patrol it. If rumors are true, we could see them coming, turn around and raise the alarm in time to organize the defense."

Harry frowned. "You think we stand any chance?"

"Sacre Dieu! It's half a dozen warriors, Harry!" replied Laventry. "When have they ever scared us away?"

"Two warriors and four frigates," Wand Claup clarified. "But Laventry's right. They're trouble if we meet them at open sea all by ourselves. Not if we're prepared to welcome them here on land."

They paused, thinking about what they'd been talking. Harry nodded, suddenly determined.

"You're right. Let's do it. We could use one more boat, though. Two to patrol the east and two for the west, northwards and southwards."