68

A woman woke Morris up early in the morning. The patrols had resumed the search, but they were heading northwest. So the pirates had a safe chance to gather. He went down to the kitchen, where they gave him a succulent breakfast. The women cleaned and went about their chores, filling the house with their energetic voices and their laughter while he wolfed down everything they put on his plate.

Maxó and De Neill arrived soon, still like walking in their sleep at that early hour. The women had made them bath and wear clean clothes too, and even shave, and their unexpectedly tidy looks made Morris laugh. They wanted to see Marina, but he wouldn't let them. The girl had spent a bad night, full of fevered nightmares from which she jolted awake groaning and crying, and she'd only found a good sleep at dawn.

They were discussing the risks of staying there when Oliver and Gerrit joined them. Finally they agreed to wait, to give Marina a chance to get a little better. The next day, they'd use Dolores' money to buy a fishing boat and head to Curaçao. If the Phantom wasn't there, at least they'd have a good chance to find somebody willing to take them home to Tortuga.

The patrols went back to the Governor's palace after lunchtime and left again soon after, this time to the west.

The day crawled by. Oliver set his watch post on the roof to keep an eye on the patrols, in case they headed to the harbor again, and at noon Morris allowed the other pirates to see Marina.

De Neill had to drag Maxó out of the room so his curses wouldn't startle the pale, shivering girl, still lost in her fevered slumber. The pirate didn't stop until he reached the backyard, where he spent a good while swearing in three languages, and kicking and punching walls, doors and everything he found around.

Gerrit and De Neill invested the afternoon in wandering around the docks and talking to fishermen, looking for a boat that could serve their purposes.

The sun slid toward the jungle canopy west of the city, from where the patrols led by Alonso hadn't still come back, when a woman went up to the roof to pay Oliver some company, bringing him a bite and a glass of wine. Marina's state hadn't improved, and Morris and Maxó wouldn't leave her side.

Oliver was about to speak when the woman pointed north. The pirate looked that way and saw a brigantine about to circle Arieta Point to enter the harbor.

"No ships come to dock this late," the woman said. "Certainly not in pairs."

Oliver stood up, grasping the chimney, and spotted the second ship she'd mentioned.

"You don't have a telescope, right?" he asked, studying the ships, which to the naked eye looked like regular merchantmen.

"Of course we do. You sailors pay with whatever you have at hand."

A few minutes later, Morris and Maxó heard Oliver scamper down from the roof. His footsteps echoed all over the house until he stormed into Marina's room, panting.

"They're here!" he cried.

"Who?"

"Laventry! The Brethren! The Royal Eagle and the Sparta are near the docks!"

"Only them?" Morris asked, concerned.

"The others must be still fighting at the castle," said Oliver.

De Neill and Gerrit came back then, all worked up with the news.

"I'll go welcome those jerks," Maxó snarled.

"Good idea. We better let them know where we are before they bring their men ashore." Morris paused for a heartbeat. "You two go, De Neill, Maxó. Gerrit, Oliver, stay here and watch over the pearl."