Chapter 21

SAM

"Sam, come here! I want to show you something"

I turned to see her holding something in her small palms. She looked up at me before grinning widely and made her way towards me slowly.

"It's a baby bird, Sam. Isn't it cute?" she questioned, her bright blue eyes looking at me widely. My eyes travelled down to her hands to see a tiny, brown bird laying in her hands. I let out a little gasp as I noticed something.

"Look, its wing is injured. The bird is hurt" I reached out to take the bird from her hands and placed it on my own. Mimicking me, she let out a gasp and began to panic.

"Oh no! Sam, how do we take care of it? I don't want it to die" she said, as tears began to gather in her eyes. I quickly but carefully shifted the bird in my right hand and reached out my left hand to hold hers.

"I won't let it die okay? Your prince will protect you and the ones you love" I said and puffed out my chest, hoping to make her laugh. It worked as she started to giggle and reached out to ruffle my hair.

"Do you promise to always protect me, even if it seems like you can't?"

"I promise you, Princess"

"Are you going to finish that or not?" My hand stilled as I looked up to see Brian looking at me in confusion. Looking back down, I noticed my plate still contained half of my pasta that I had been aimlessly poking with my fork. Shaking my head slightly, I pushed the plate away from me and stood up.

"Take it," I said as I began to walk out of the kitchen. He looked at me warily before shrugging his shoulders and diving into my previous seat and stuffing the pasta into his mouth. I shook my head with a smile before looking away and making my way towards my room. Absentmindedly, I made my way up the stairs but ended up bumping into Mason, making him fall backwards.

"OW!" he cried out and I quickly crouched down to lift him up.

"Sorry buddy, you okay?" I questioned and examined him for any possible injuries.

Mum would kill me if something happened to Mason.

"I'm fine" he giggled and pushed my hands away from his face "I wanted to ask you for something" he peered up at me through his thick curly lashes.

"Of course, go ahead"

"Can you call Elizabeth over again? She's really nice to me, unlike all your other girlfriends" he shuddered, making me laugh at his actions.

"Sure, I'll just call her for you okay?" I said as I pulled my phone out of my pocket. He gave me a toothless grin and a thumbs up before racing down the stairs, leaving me with my thoughts again.

My thumb hovered over her number as I internally debated on whether to just lie to Mason and say that she's busy or not.

Screw it.

I held my breath as I heard the phone dial the number and let out beeps to let me know the call was going through. As it kept ringing, my confidence began to die out and I nearly hung up before I heard her voice through the phone.

"Hello?" I shot up straight and covered my phone with my hand to clear my throat.

"Uh hey, Princess. Mason wants you to come over" I blurted into the phone.

"Sam? How do you have my number?" she inquired.

"I have sources. So you coming or no?"

What the actual fuck?

"I'll be over in 5"

"Okay" I hung up the phone before looking at it in disbelief.

Did I just do that?

Groaning, I threw myself onto my bed, face planting onto my pillow. She probably thinks I'm an idiot now.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid" I mumbled to myself as I repeated banged my head against my pillow. As I lay on my stomach, I heard soft paws coming closer. I felt something wet against my ankle and I sat up with a sigh.

"What's up boy?" I reached out to pet Ace, my golden retriever and he happily snuggled against my hand.

Mum had got him for Mason's birthday a few months ago and he was only a few weeks old then. He's still a puppy and Mason hardly looked after him so I named him Ace and claimed him as mine. He had just come back from the vets because he wasn't well and just threw up everywhere.

He climbed up into my lap and laid down, his tail wagging. I smiled as I continued to run my hands across his fur; I missed this little shit.

I wonder if Princess will like him. She has always loved dogs.

The doorbell rang downstairs, pulling me out of my reverie and I carefully picked up Ace, putting him on the floor before walking out of my room. Being the little shit he is, he followed me out, walking between my legs, making me trip numerous times.

"Ace, behave" I hiss.

I finally get to the door and pull it open to see Princess standing there with a slight frown on her face. However, when her eyes fell on Ace, her face lit up and she squealed before throwing herself onto the floor to pet him.

"Oh my god, Sam! He's so cute!" she exclaimed, clearly overjoyed.

"Thanks. His name's Ace" I said. My eyes narrowed when I noticed Ace's tail wagging even more than it ever had when he played with me. I scoff and walked off to find Mason, leaving the two lovebirds behind.

Why the fuck am I jealous of a puppy?

I shook my head before running my hand through my hair and walked upstairs to Mason's room. I knocked on his door and opening it slightly, allowing me to poke my head through. He sat on his bed with his maths workbook in his hands.

"Hey buddy, she's here" I call out, making him turn his head towards me. His face lit up and he squealed, just like Princess, as he threw his book before leaping off his bed and running downstairs. I let out a chuckle and made my way to my own room, the sound of Mason's giggles echoing throughout the house.

—————————————————————

Okay so this chapter is slightly shorter but I wanted to post something for you guys so here you gooo.

Hope you enjoy this chapter my loves ❤️