Chapter 33

BETH

"Sam has been out of it lately so I thought I'd come and ask if you're the reason why"

No matter what I do, I can't get Sam or what Caleb said out of my head.

It's not because I'm in love with him or anything, that's kind of impossible. I don't really know him that well, I used to when we were kids but a lot has changed since then for both of us. I'm grateful to have him back in my life but I can't figure out as what.

Are we friends? Yes.

Are we confused about our feelings? Yes.

I'm scared to ruin our newly found old friendship so for the sake of it, I'm going to push away these confusing feelings and just carry on with my life as normal. I want to avoid getting hurt or hurting someone else so it's best if I just push this all aside. I grab my phone from my nightside and text Jazz to hang out. She agrees and we meet at the bowling alley Sam took me to about a month ago.

His right arm held mine while his left arm held my waist towards him. He rested his chin on my right shoulder and his right hand travelled down to mine. His hand enclosed mine and he began to swing my arm.

"You need to be able to keep a straight arm when bowling, that's how you can actually hit the pins" his breath fanned against my cheek and I was too flustered to realise what he had just said, but when I did, I elbowed him in his stomach and broke away from his grip, while his boisterous laugh echoed around us.

"So what's going on with you and Sam? Don't think I didn't notice the tension between you two after riding the Ferris wheel" She wiggled her eyebrows at me suggestively while holding a bowling ball and I groaned.

I was hesitantly looking at him, so he dropped his hand and cupped my cheek instead, making me shut my eyes. He leaned his forehead on my own, and I opened my eyes just as our foreheads touched.

He gazed into my eyes, with his now dark green orbs.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look?" he whispered.

I shook my head lightly.

"Well, I'm saying it now. You look absolutely beautiful, Ellie"

"Nothing happened other than the fact that we kissed" I mumbled, hoping she didn't get what I said but unfortunately for me she has super sonar hearing. The bowling ball slips from her hands and crashes on the floor as she gasps loudly. I look at the ground with my eyes wide and look back at her to see her frozen in her spot. I wait a few seconds for her to come back to reality and she makes it known by screaming so loud, it frightens the kids near us and causes a baby to start wailing.

"What the"

"YOU! Out now!"

The manager, I'm guessing, comes up to us and gestures for us to leave as we had disturbed everyone in the building, making Jazz scoff and drag me out. We walk towards the car park, and I anxiously wait for Jazz to say something but she never says anything and just goes to sit in the car. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and get in the car, not understanding why she's so quiet.

Shouldn't she be happy that what she predicted came true? I thought she wanted something like this to happen.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me Beth. I thought we were friends" she fake cries after a few moments of silence, making me jump.

"I was confused! Still am, I don't know what it meant for us and I'm scared to find out. Caleb came by and told me how Sam wasn't himself and I feel bad because I know it's because of how I just ran off and didn't talk to him properly." I look down at my lap and start playing with my fingers, like I always do when I get nervous. Jazz notices and puts her hand over mine, making me look back up at her.

She smiles, "This is something you both should talk about together, not with other people. We can't tell you how to feel, Beth. Sure, it's scary because you just became friends again after being apart for so long but how do you know what can happen if you don't try? Relationships take courage and if you don't have it, your life will be full of 'what ifs' and you don't want that do you?"

That does make sense.

I'd rather live life with 'oh well', than 'what if' because I'll know that I atleast tried. If Sam and I talk about it properly, we can try something new together like we always did as children.

Only difference is that there are actual feelings involved this time.

And that is terrifying.

——————————————————————————

Hey guys! It's a bit of a short one today but next chapter will be what you're all waiting for 👀

Hope you enjoyed!

Until next time ❤️