Chapter 27

SAM

"Hey, Sammy?"

I turned to look at her sparkling blue eyes already looking at me.

"Yeah, Ellie?"

"I know you promised to always protect me, but what happens when you leave?" She whimpered, her lip quivering.

I reached out to grab her hand and I squeezed it reassuringly.

"I will never leave you, Ellie, not by choice. You're my best friend"

She smiled at me, with tears in her eyes.

"And you're my prince, Sammy. Just like I'm your princess"

The drive to the fair had been slightly longer than expected due to traffic but it didn't matter for Ellie, who passed out 20 minutes into the drive. Her head rested against the window with her knees brought up to her chest and she looked a bit uncomfortable in that position that it annoyed me, just by looking at her.

I had already parked the car like 10 minutes ago, and Jack called me about 5 times to ask where we were but I just couldn't bring myself to wake Ellie up, so I lied that we were nearly there.

I let out a sigh as I unbuckled my seatbelt and leaned over to lightly shake her awake. Instead of waking up, she turned her body and let her head fall against the headrest, making it slip down and almost hitting her shoulder.

This time, I shook her firmer than before.

"Ellie wake up, we're here"

She mumbled something incoherent and tried to get comfortable in the position she was in but it was impossible for her to do so.

She's still such a heavy sleeper.

I fished out my phone from my pocket and called Jack.

"Sam, where the hell are you guys? We're still waiting at the entrance for you because we're the ones that have your passes to get in!" He exclaimed and I could hear the fair music in the background.

"Elizabeth fell asleep in the car and now she won't wake up. I'm trying to wake her up but she won't budge" I explained and heard him sigh at the other end.

"Just pick her up and get here already. She'll wake up by the sound of the fair, I'm sure"

Agreeing, I ended the call and looked at Ellie again, whose lips were now slightly pouted and her eyebrows were furrowed and I let out a little laugh.

I got out of the car and made my way to her side, before opening the door and bending down to her height. I slipped one hand under her neck and the other under her legs before gently scooping her out the car. I kicked the door shut with my foot before I adjusted her in my arms, making her head fall into the crook of my neck.

As I started to walk towards the entrance, I felt her shift in my arms and she began nuzzling into my neck. I stiffened and tightened my hold on her as she carried on with her actions before stopping completely.

I felt her sniff me multiple times and she mumbled something, making me let out a little laugh, which startled her and she pulled away from me.

I looked down at her sleepy eyes and smiled.

"Morning, sleepy head"

She looked confused and began to look around us, only to realise where we were.

"Did I fall asleep in the car? Oh my god Sam, put me down! Your arms are probably dead weight by now" she rambled, making me put her down on her feet and laugh.