Chapter Ten

The next morning Isabelle was up before dawn. She slid from Alasdair's arms as quietly as she could and padded to the washroom. When she came out a few minutes later the doors to the balcony were open and Alasdair was outside. She went out to join him in the cool morning air.

"Did I wake you?" she asked softly. He reached out to take her hand and pulled her into his arms. She snuggled against his bare chest.

"No lass. The sun will be up soon," he answered.

"This is becoming a ritual." He laughed softly and hugged her a little tighter for a moment then slid his arms free and took a step towards the bedroom.

"Wait here," he said with a smile. Isabelle watched him walk to the bed and pull the blanket off. He came back to her and draped it over her shoulders.

"What are you up to?"

"You'll see." He kissed her softly, tucked the blanket into place, then lifted her against his chest. She giggled as he leapt up and they glided over the sleeping town.

"We're not dressed for this," she murmured then tucked her head against his shoulder.

"No one will see us," he said with a laugh.

They flew north for a few minutes, over the town and an area thick with trees. Once they passed the trees he angled toward the ground and she gaped at the sight before them. He had taken her to a high hilltop with a huge lake at the base. The trees thinned out on the side leading to the water, leaving most of it open. Alasdair set her on her feet and took the blanket. She stood quietly, staring at the picturesque view while he laid the blanket out on the grass. He called out to her and waved to where he was kneeling. She went to him and settled herself between his knees. He pulled the blanket over her legs to ward off the cool breeze coming off the lake.

"This is beautiful," she said and peeked up at him. He was watching the sun as it began to rise above the horizon.

"It's one of my favorite places in the realm." His gaze slid down to her. "Especially today." She smiled as his arms tightened around her. They looked back at the horizon as the sun inched up to greet the realm. Isabelle sucked in a breath as the sky lit up with bright orange and yellow swirls. "The light is striking the barrier to the realm," he explained quietly. She nodded slightly in response, her eyes followed the swirls as they dissipated into the blue sky.

"It's a victory celebration, isn't it?" she asked and looked up at him. His lips curved into a smile. "That's why you keep doing this."

"Yes my love." He leaned close to press his lips against her temple. After a few minutes his wings slid free from the blanket and folded forward to cover them from the shoulders down.

"What—?" she asked as his hands gripped her waist and pushed her up onto her knees.

"The next part of the ritual of course," he answered and dipped his head to kiss her cheek.

"Here?" She giggled as his lips slid down, skimmed her jaw and he nipped at the cords of her neck.

"Umm hmm," he answered.

"You really are a wicked faerie." She tilted her head to give him access to her neck. He kissed his way back up to her ear.

"Do you like your faerie to be wicked lass?" She shivered under his whisper then turned to kiss him. He growled softly as her hands reached back to pull at his hips. She pressed the curve of her ass against his hardening shaft then tugged his pajama bottoms down. He let her grip his hardness in her little hands for a few moments before breaking the kiss to turn her in his arms. Her nightgown was stripped away quickly and tossed behind him. She immediately pressed her breasts against his skin and smiled at his quickly indrawn breath.