Chapter Thirteen

The following day half the morning passed by the time Alasdair opened his eyes. Isabelle greeted him with a sympathetic smile and a cup of ginger root tea. Roldan suggested it when she'd had breakfast with him and Amie earlier in the day.

Isabelle sat on the balcony with him while he drank the tea and let it work its magic on the crushing headache all the wine had left him with. Several times he looked over and caught a look in her eyes that he couldn't decipher, at least not while his head felt like it was being crushed under a giant's boot heel. Each time she saw him looking at her she would smile. As the cobwebs in his head cleared he was certain that her smile had a touch of uncertainty along the edges.

While he went to shower she stayed on the balcony. After a long, hot, restorative shower he came out of the washroom in just a towel and watched her for a moment. She straightened from the railing, turned her face up to the sky, and let the sun caress her skin. By the time he finished putting on his clothes he was smiling to himself. He had an idea of what he could do to bring her smile back to its full brilliance.

They went to the dining room to enjoy the noon meal with his family. Alasdair pulled Andrelle aside as the gathering was breaking up and everyone headed off in different directions. She listened to his request with a confused look but when he wouldn't explain she gave in and hurried off to get the item he asked for. Once she disappeared he turned to find Isabelle. She was standing near the doorway, waiting for him.

"Lass, is everything alright?" She squeezed the hand he'd taken and nodded slightly. "Are you certain? You were very quiet at lunch."

"I was just listening to everyone," she answered with a smile.

Whatever else he might have asked would have to wait as Amie descended on them with a bounce in her step. "So, I was thinking." She clasped her hands together as she came to a stop in front of Isabelle. "We should go to Queen's Hill."

"We went there yesterday," Isabelle said.

"Did he show you the caves?" Amie asked. Isabelle shook her head. "You're in for a treat. They're at the far end of the lake, just on the other side of the waterfall."

"I didn't see the falls," Isabelle said with a smile.

"Probably looking at something else," Amie said with a pointed look over Isabelle's shoulder.

"It sounds fun." Isabelle turned to Alasdair. "Can we go?"

"Of course. We just need to wait for Andrelle to return," he answered as he looked down the hall.

"Is she coming too?" Isabelle asked.

"Perhaps," Alasdair said.

"Uncle, what are you up to?" Amie asked with a smile.

"Fulfilling a wish." He looked at Isabelle. "Do you recall what you said the night before I was freed?"

Isabelle cocked her head. "That your wings are freakishly huge?"

Amie giggled. "They're big but not freakish by faerie standards."

"That's not what I was referring to," Alasdair said with a shake of his head. "There she is."

"Why do you want this?" Andrelle asked and held up a wide piece of thick white fabric.

"You'll see." Alasdair looked around then pulled Isabelle back into the dining room. Andrelle and Amie looked at each other for a second then followed them. Haelan and the twins, who had lingered in their seats, watched with interest as Alasdair took a seat then waved Andrelle over. "Will you help?" She nodded then hurried over to him. "I've never used one of these before."