Fourteen

I jumped off the Argo as she fell to the ground then a well-aimed dagger killed Corday by stabbing his eye, his double-edged ax still in her stomach. I slid on the ice as I got to Cressa then Leo and Nico helped pull the ax from her, making her wince.

"Ow." She mumbled and Piper sadly laughed as she kneeled next to Leo.

"Why, Cressa?" Nico breathed and she coughed, red liquid flying from her mouth in drops.

"Because of the prophecy. A monster child will go with four others, four will return. If I came back, the camp would resent me in fear I killed one of you." She said and I grabbed her hand, holding it tightly.

"Cressa, the camp wouldn't have-"

"Jason would hate me if Piper died, Hazel if it were Nico, the entire Hephaestus cabin if it were Leo, and all of the demigod-god world if it were you." She said and groaned as she bled out on the ice.

"That's not true!" Piper cried then Cressa looked at her.

"Yes, it is, Piper." She whispered then gripped my hand tightly.

"Percy, it seems you were right. Just go, go home to the camp." She breathed then I shook my head and laid on our joined hands.

"I can't go, not without you!" I cried and she smiled when I saw her breathing slow some.

"Yes, you-you can." She breathed and groaned then I shook my head and looked at Nico.

"Do something! Your dad is Hades-"

"God of the underworld, not the dead!" He said and I looked at Cressa but she had stopped breathing altogether and her eyes were dull.

"Cressa? Cressa?! No, wake up!" I cried and held her cheeks then shook my head and laid against her chest.

"Please, we can't lose you." I whispered and held her close to me, not caring about her blood.

"Percy, we gotta go." Leo croaked and I nodded then Nico got Cressa's swords as I lifted her. We went to the Argo and I laid her on the dining room table then Piper covered her with a sheet. Leo got the ship flying and Nico laid the dual swords on either side of her as we left the room, none of us returning to it until we got home to camp.

"It's the Argo!"

"They're back!"

"They did it!" The camp cheered but as Piper, Leo, and Nico went to lower the ramp, the cheering stopped.

"Wait, who didn't come back?"

"Where's Cressa and Percy?" I walked above deck, holding Cressa's body in my arms, then Piper adjusted the sheet so it covered Cressa.

"Cressa..."

"Oh my gods." I walked down the ramp, tears silently falling down my cheeks, then Chiron came over and stared at me.

"She sacrificed herself so we wouldn't die." I hoarsely whispered and Chiron shook his head as he eyed the sheet covered girl.

"She won't be forgotten, I can assure-"

"Do you mind? I'd like to lay her down, I don't think she would like everyone staring." I whispered and smiled at him, despite the tears falling.

"O-of course, Percy." He moved and I cleared my throat then carried her to the arena where we had all funerals for the demigods we lost. Apollo showed up and ran to my side then eyed me but I shook my head as I lightly touched the sheet.

"She thought if she came back and one of us didn't, she would be hated. So she let Corday kill her so we could come back." I whispered and Apollo shook his head then eyed Cressa.

"N-no... No, she-she wouldn't have been."

"I know." I whispered and moved the sheet back to see Cressa's face. Her pink locks flowing freely from their loose braid, her beautiful blue eyes closed, her ivory skin now the color of pure snow, and her full lips no longer smiling or laughing or breathing air into her lungs.

"She-" I stopped as my voice cracked when I fell to my knees and sobbed against the table she was on, finally crying after she died. After all the time since she had died, I finally let myself cry. Apollo grabbed my shoulder then I sobbed louder and louder until I was sure even the Roman camp could hear me.

"She's gone! There's nothing I can do and she's gone!" I screamed and Apollo forced me to stand then hugged me.

"I'm so sorry, Percy." He cried and I held him close as I sobbed into the god's chest.

"I wish I could bring her back, I do, but we can't. We can't bring her back, it's too late." He sobbed and I looked at Cressa through my tears as I asked Zeus for one final, silent wish. Please, if you can hear me, just give her back. It's all I ask, I'll ask for nothing else. I just want her back.