Chapter 12

Officer Johnson was watching Annabelle with her daughter Stephanie, through a window, in the kids room of the police station. Annabelle sat by her daughter watching her color a picture. Officer Johnson turned her eyes to the right when she heard soft foot steps approaching her.

"How are they doing?" Officer Shaw asked carrying a drink holder in his hands.

"Looks like they're gonna be okay. How did it go with Mr. Cooper?"

John had spent about 30 minutes badgering Jack Cooper with questions in the interrogation room. Cooper tried to intimidate John, but it didn't work. Jack walked away from the fight with a broken nose, cut on his right cheek, and a bruised ego. Where as John walked away from the fight with a right black eye, and a busted lip. Jack made it well known that he had no problem giving John another black eye. That was after John explained to Jack what he might experience behind bars. He even mentioned what might happen if he came across a man nicknamed Bubba and how much he liked to 'welcome' new inmates where he was headed.

"Wait a minute, John." Christa spoke up after John finished his tale. "Where he's going, there is nobody named 'Bubba', especially one who likes to be friendly with new inmates, as you so plainly put it."

John snickered. "We know that. He, on the other hand, doesn't."

"You're mean, John." she laughed. "Is one of those for me?"

John passed a coffee to her. "Is someone coming to pick them up?"

"While you were dealing with Jack, she made a call to her father. He's on his way here now."

"Good. I'm gonna go in and talk with Annabelle for a while. Would you let me know when he gets here?"

"Sure."

John went to walk into the room as Christa turned to walk away. "Christa?" She turned to look at her partner. "Thanks for your help tonight."

"You're welcome." she said before continuing to walk down the hall.

John lightly knocked on the door before entering.

"Hey there." he said shutting the door behind him.

"Hi." Annabelle greeted.

"Hi, Mr. Shaw." Stephanie greeted.

"I brought you some coffee, Annabelle."

"Thank you."

He nodded removing a cup from the cup holder and passing to Annabelle. He removed another cup and passed it to Stephanie. "Here is some milk for you, Stephanie."

"Thank you." she said taking the cup from him.

"You're welcome."

John led Annabelle over to a bench against a wall on the other side of the room, with his own cup of the hot brew. They sat down before speaking.

"How's she doing?"

"I think she's gonna be alright?"

"You?"

"I'm okay." Annabelle looked at John's face. She pointed to her right eye. "That looks painful."