Chapter 8. Sick.

Not long after April left Shini couldn't keep her eyes open 'Karai, I'm leaving. You can stay if you want.' she said as she got up and stretched. Karai looked over at her 'I'm coming. Goodnight guys.' she said standing up. Leo stood up as well 'goodnight Karai. I'll call if anything changes with Splinter.' he said. Karai nodded 'thanks Leo. See you tomorrow.' she said with a grin as she and Shini headed for the door. 'come on guys, we should get some sleep.' Donnie said. Mikey frowned 'but I'm not tired!' he whined. 'too bad. It's...' Leo turned his head as he started coughing. Donnie got up and walked over to him 'you feeling okay Leo?' he asked.
Leo nodded 'yea, I'm fine.' he answered. Donnie placed a hand on his forehead 'you feel warm.' he said. Leo pushed his hand away 'relax Don. I'm fine.' he said. With a sigh Donnie started heading for his room 'okay, but don't complain to me if you get sick.' he called over his shoulder.

The next morning.

'welp, you're definitely sick.' Donnie said. Leo groaned 'I don't have time to be sick.' he said as he shivered. Donnie crossed his arms 'Leo, you need to rest to get better.' he said firmly. Sighing Leo looked down 'but what... about my... my date?' he said in between coughing. 'you'll have to call it off.' Donnie answered. Leo's eyes widened 'no! I can't do that!' he said standing up. 'Leo you're sick. If you go out tonight it'll only get worst, plus you'll probably end up getting Karai sick too.' Donnie said, he sighed 'I know how much it means to you Leo. But you need to get some rest. She'll understand.' he said placing a hand on his shoulder. Leo frowned 'okay...' he said sadly looking down at the floor. 'now, go put on something warm and watch some TV. Let me know if you need anything.' Donnie said patting his shoulder. 'thanks.' Leo said as he walked out of the lab and to his room pulling out his phone along the way. Once in his room he shut the door and tossed his phone on his bed as he took off his belt and opened his dresser to pull out a dark blue hoodie and put it on, he sat down on his bed and grabbed his phone hesitating before texting Karai.

Leo: hey Karai. I'm really sorry but we're gonna have to cancel our date tonight.
Karai: everything ok?
Leo: well, I'm sick.
Leo: I'm really sorry Karai.
Karai: Leo stop apologizing. It's not your fault.
Leo: I still feel bad.
Karai: we'll go out another time, okay?
Leo: okay.
Karai: good, now go get some rest. Let me know how you're feeling later.
Leo: I will. Have a great day.
Karai: you too Leo.

Leo grinned slightly 'at least she's not mad.' he said to himself as he put his phone in his pocket and walked out to the living room. 'hey Leo, how ya feelin?' Raph asked walking over to him. Leo shrugged 'I've been better. But thanks for asking.' he replied. Raph nodded 'sure, see you later Leo.' he said before he went to the dojo. Leo sat down on the couch and turned the TV on, he smiled seeing Space Heros already on. 'hey Leo.' Mikey said as he walked over to him 'Donnie says you're sick so I made you breakfast!' he said handing Leo a plate of food 'thanks Mikey, you didn't have to do that...' Leo said trying to distinguish what he was looking at. Mikey smiled widely 'you're welcome! See you later.' he said as he hurried off to his room. Leo chuckled before looking back down at the plate 'I think I'll pass.' he said as he set it aside and went back to watching TV only to fall asleep.

Meanwhile...

'they're really doing well today aren't they?' Shini asked as she and Karai watched the foot soldiers training with each other. Shini looked over at Karai to see her typing on her phone 'who ya texting? Is it your boyfriend?' she asked peeking over her shoulder, reading the texts she frowned 'oh. You okay?' she said. Karai nodded as she put her phone away with a sigh 'yea I'm fine. I'll probably go over tonight, I also wanna see how my father's doing.' she said. Shini nodded looking back to the soldiers 'just don't get sick.' she said. Karai grinned 'I won't.' she said.

Karai sighed as she sat down on her bed and pulled out her phone.

Karai: hey Leo, how ya feeling?
Leo: a lot better actually.
Karai: mind if I come over?
Leo: not at all.
Karai: I'll be there in a few minutes.
Leo: see you soon.

Karai got up and changed into jeans and a black T-shirt and grabbed her jacket before leaving and heading for the lair. When she walked into the lair she couldn't help but smile seeing Leo glued to the TV where some documentary was playing, he was snuggled up in a blanket and his hoodie while sipping at a cup of tea. She walked over to him 'hey Leo.' she said as she walked over to him. Leo turned his head towards her and smiled as she sat down next to him 'hey Karai. How was your day?' he asked, his voice rough from coughing. 'it was okay. Where is everybody?' Karai asked not seeing the other turtles anywhere. 'they went out for patrol, they'll be back in about an hour or so.' Leo answered. Karai nodded 'so, you feeling better?' she asked. Leo nodded then frowned 'I'm sorry about our date.' he said looking down at the floor. Karai sighed scooting closer to Leo, making him blush 'Leo, stop blaming yourself. Besides it's not that big of a deal.' she said. 'not that big of a deal? I've been waiting to ask you out since we met!' Leo blurted out, once realizing what he said made him blush even harder. Now Karai was blushing 'why didn't you?' she asked almost in a whisper. Leo rubbed his neck 'I figured you'd reject me. I mean who would ever like a giant turtle?' he said. Karai reached over and turned his head to face her 'I would.' she said. Leo smiled brightly 'Karai, I...' Leo was quickly stopped as he jerked his head away and started coughing, once he stopped he looked back at her 'did I ruin the moment?' he asked making both start laughing. Leo sighed softly 'thanks for coming over.' he said looking over at Karai. 'of course.' she replied as she kicked her shoes off and brought her legs onto the couch. Leo smiled and turned his head back to the TV glancing over at her a few times, then slowly, and I mean slowly, he "stretched" and left his arm on the back of the couch behind Karai. She did her best to keep from laughing at his cliché move as he scooted closer, glancing over at him she saw him wearing the biggest smile she'd ever seen which in turn made her smile too.