3 -Jennifer and Sterling Dixon

Jennifer

Jennifer couldn't believe what she saw. Did she stay calm? She didn't feel calm. Her head was spinning, and her heart was pounding.

She stood in a shadow across the street and waited as they both left the building and separated. Sterling probably assumed she had gone to Avery's and didn't know Avery was thirty-nine thousand feet up. He had his phone out and hers vibrated, but she refused to answer. He hailed a cab. The minute it set off through the snarled evening traffic, she formulated her plan.

She wouldn't have very long. If Sterling had walked the ten blocks, she'd have longer, but it was a cold and drizzly evening. Quickly she crossed the street and returned to their apartment. She packed enough clothes for a week, but she had so little that would work on The Point. She included some work outfits, but she would be overdressed when she wasn't meeting her client. She packed her sweats and jeans which she rarely wore. She took her cosmetics and toothbrush knowing they would confirm to him she was gone. She needed her work bag with her laptop and files she took everywhere. The last thing she grabbed was her winter coat. It was only March.

Once she was on the elevator heading down to the parking level, she let out her breath. The minute she reached their car and successfully avoided a confrontation, her muscles relaxed.

She didn't know what she needed the most - to avoid the fact that he was cheating on her with their employee or to go home.

She focused on going home. She wanted to hear the bell on The Landing door and see her father look up from behind the counter and smile. She wanted to hug her mother and walk to the ocean. She wanted to see her best friends and finally meet their children. She wanted a lobster roll. She wanted to breathe deeply and answer to Jen and even, if Sterling knew he'd be appalled, Jenny.

It took time to get out of the city and to make her way north on Ninety-five. She often drove the car when she had clients away from the city. She had jobs in every exclusive town within commuting distance. The past summer she had spent a month working in The Hamptons. They only had the one car, but Sterling rarely drove and conducted his end of the business from the city.

"And apparently the bedroom!" she yelled.

She was so stupid! Why didn't she see it? Did she miss signs or clues between them?

Did Sterling love her? Did he ever love her? She had so many questions. As she drove north, her phone rang and rang with Sterling's ringtone, a jazz instrumental. Eventually, just before midnight, she heard Avery's ringtone, The Gilmore Girls theme song that drove Sterling crazy. She answered hands free.

"What the hell is going on? I had twenty messages from Sterling when I landed!"

"What did he say?"

"Something about you taking off. Where are you?"

"I'm driving. We have a client who bought a new home in Maine and I'm going home."

"Tonight! Why tonight? Besides, I thought you said that you weren't taking that job."

"Sterling didn't want me too, but I haven't been home in nine years. I haven't seen my parents and they're not getting any younger. I've never seen Megan's kids, but you know all this already."

"So why tonight?"

"You've been encouraging me to do this for years."

"I know. I've watched the Jen I know let Sterling control her for years, but he's frantic. You better call him."

"I will when I stop driving which will be soon." Jen promised. "I have a few more miles before I plan to stop."

"There's something you're not telling me."

"Avery, I'm driving."

"Fine. Drive safe. I'll call you tomorrow."

The call disconnected and Jen said out loud, "Yeah there's something I'm not telling you, like the fact my husband, your good friend is a cheat. Worse he was sleeping with... with... I don't want to think about it."

Sterling

Sterling

Sterling was frantic. How had this happened? She was going out with Avery. She had reminded him three times, so he wouldn't forget. It was unlikely he would forget. The second she mentioned her plans, he made his own. It was nearly impossible to get any time alone in the office. They would talk, but touching was out of the question. Even when they talked, he felt scrutinizing eyes on him. Perhaps he was paranoid or guilty. Well, of course, he was guilty if his mother knew he'd get an earful about sin, even though she didn't like Jennifer.

When no one was at Avery's apartment, he went home expecting to find Jennifer. Knowing his wife, she walked around the block to cool off. Only Jennifer walked in the rain. To him walking around the city was plebeian. The only thing worse was the walking to the beach last summer. He couldn't understand why after walking to the beach, she would go for a walk on the beach.

Entering their apartment, he heard only the hum of the refrigerator. She hadn't returned. He called her, but she was ignoring him. He called Avery, but she wasn't picking up either.

He sent a text, This is a disaster. I can't find Jennifer.

The response came back. She was going to find out, eventually.

Sterling loved Jennifer ─ not the way he should, but they were perfect partners. He identified her talent when she was just an intern. Once he smoothed off her rough edges, there was no stopping them. Marrying her was not part of his original plan, but it strengthened their partnership.

He walked into the bathroom to splash water on his face. Wiping his face with the plush towel something odd caught his eye. Jennifer always left one lipstick by the sink. She argued if she put it away, she'd forget to put it on. She, of all people, should have understood that stray cosmetics ruined the aesthetics of the room. Where was her lipstick now? It was gone!

He opened drawers to find most everything gone ─ her toothbrush and all of her makeup. He rushed to the bedroom closet and sighed. Her clothes were there, but he couldn't tell if some were missing. Next, he checked her drawers, and he saw the one containing her underthings was nearly empty. Back to the closet, the big suitcase was missing. Where did she go?

She said that she was calling Sydney. She wouldn't have defied him like that or would she? He looked in the kitchen drawer for the car keys. They were gone! Was she driving to Maine?

He paced like a caged animal. This was a disaster! She knew he didn't want her to take that job. She was doing it to punish him. Jennifer Dixon of Dixon Designs was not from Maine.

He feared a trip back home would undo all his work transforming her. He had been keeping her away for years and now she defied him. He felt like the life he built was on the verge of crumbling.

He sat down at the kitchen table with a bottle of scotch and called her again and again. She sent him a text after midnight ─ at least she was safe. He should be angry with himself, but it was easier to be angry with Jennifer for leaving.

He was losing control because she was slipping away from the woman he created. First she started that crazy talk about wanting a baby ─ a baby was not in the plan. Now she was going off to Maine, which was definitely not part of the plan ─ the plan that was unraveling with every moment.

A/N I loved writing Sterling, but you will not like him. I think of him as a misguided person rather than bad. He is complex and not as self assured as he appears. On a side note, he will always be a better person than Harmony.