27 - Kate/ Alex

Kate

When her brother, Tom called, she asked him what was wrong.

"Why do you think something's wrong?"

"Because you never call me. I call you, but you're always too busy for your big sister."

"I'm calling to say I'll be back next weekend. I'm staying with Alex."

"So you're actually going to this party on the beach?"

"Yes, and you should too if you want to meet Avery."

"Who's Avery?"

"The girl I've been seeing."

"You're bringing a girl home with you! How long have you been seeing her?"

"Only a few weeks, but they've been the best weeks of my life. So do you want to come and meet her?"

"Okay, we'll come. Does Mom know about your friend?"

"No. I think we'll do the whole meet the parents' thing later, not this soon."

"Lil' Tommy has a girl. Now if Alex could find one and settle down."

"Don't worry about Alex. The right girl is out there for him."

After their conversation ended she called Alex. "Did you know Tommy has a girlfriend?"

"Hi Kate! And yes, I know about Avery."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't realize I needed to tell you." He sounded annoyed and she couldn't understand why.

"Do you know anything about her?"

"I know that she has a good job in New York."

"How did they meet?"

"At a bar and the rest is history. I have a picture, but you can't see their faces. I'll send it to you and I can probably get a hold of a better picture for you."

"I guess I'll come to your party to meet her."

She instantly regretted her decision and felt like her brothers were ganging up on her.

"You'll have fun. You'll love Megan and actually Kristi too. You are both a lot alike."

"How do you mean?"

"You both like to have your noses in other people's business."

"I'll tell all your friends your business." She teased.

"Like what? You wouldn't!"

"I'll tell them you're still in love with your high school girlfriend."

"I am not. I'm over her. I swear!"

"I'll believe that the day you fall in love for real."

She waited for him to say something, but to her, his silence proved that she was right. Instead, he told her he was working and hung up.

He texted a picture of Tom making out with his girlfriend. She was curious who took the picture and why Alex had it. Her brothers were just not normal.

She was stuck going to the party. She liked the beach, but she wasn't sure about meeting a ton of new people. She had a new baby and there was no way she could wear a bathing suit. This New York Avery was probably as thin as a model. Kate was blessed with curves that were more pronounced since her pregnancy. Matt told her she was perfect, but men lie.

Not long after their phone call ended, Alex sent through another photo. It was of Avery sitting on the beach next to a good-looking guy. Her brother picked a pretty one.