45 - Sterling/ Alex

Sterling

How could Jennifer be so happy about the divorce? Wasn't she supposed to be sad? He worried what would happen now that she wasn't legally his. Dixon Designs was his life's work. It frightened him she might choose a baby over the company. The company was his baby, and without Jennifer, it would be gone.

Jennifer's off-handed comments bothered him. He didn't want her sleeping with other men. Men use women to get what they want with no concern for the women's feelings. Jennifer was not prepared for that. He had been keeping her safe. He knew because he had men use him like that in the past. How could he protect Jennifer when she was so secretive?

He couldn't understand why she kept running home. She had friends in New York. They had hundreds of clients who loved her. Perhaps it was just as well she wasn't splashing her beautiful face out in the New York social scene. He wanted people to think she missed him.

Trevor was thrilled with the divorce. He wanted to go out, but Sterling refused. Trevor was angry when he found out that Sterling never told and never planned to tell his parents about their relationship. His parents hated Jennifer and they would never accept him with another man. That was some fight that he and Trevor had. They've had others, of course.

Jennifer walked in on an argument in The Hampton's. Trevor was upset that Sterling didn't want to do anything while Jennifer went to pick up Lexi, but that was nothing compared to the argument they had after Trevor witnessed that little scene that Jennifer made on the beach. The last real fight was after they both showed up at the office and Jennifer so rudely told Trevor that he had been sleeping with both of them at the same time. Trevor was irate with Sterling not only because Sterling brought him to the office knowing that Jennifer was working, but also because he slept with his wife when he told Trevor he wasn't. He didn't give into Jennifer often, but he had to keep his marriage going by giving his wife attention. Sterling still blamed Avery for ruining his marriage. If Jennifer had been out with her and hadn't caught them together, they would still be married and everyone would be happy. Well except maybe Trevor, but Sterling would not be worrying about the future of Dixon Designs constantly.

 Well except maybe Trevor, but Sterling would not be worrying about the future of Dixon Designs constantly

Alex

Alex woke with one thought, it's Friday. He just had to work hard, and his reward would arrive on a plane. He was getting his coffee when his phone rang. It surprised him to see his brother calling. Tom started with a hello and explanation about being busy. "I'm sorry I haven't called much."

"Is everything fine with you and Avery."

"Yes, it's great. You and Jen?"

"We're great too. I'll see her tonight."

"Good. I just felt bad for not calling. I have to get to work. Bye."

Alex was glad he called, but something about it was strange. It didn't bother Alex for long, because it was Friday. The house was coming along, but he was also busy with two renovation projects - one in Ocean Park and another at Higgins.

His life began the moment, she walked out of the terminal and smiled at him. Once in the car, he asked, "How was your day?"

"You first."

"Well, Tom called me. I've hardly talked to him since summer."

"What did he say!" she exclaimed sharply.

"Nothing. It was strange because he said hi, how are you and bye quickly." Tom's call and Jen's reaction baffled him. "Do you know something I don't about Tom?"

"No. I just know it has bothered you he never calls. How's the house?"

He talked the rest of the drive about the progress with the house. She listened and asked questions. Once they arrived home, he scooped her into a hug.

"I have something for you."

"You do." He smiled hoping it was something sexy. Nope. She pulled the newspaper out of her bag.

"I thought Tom told you." She pointed to a small article. He read the headline and looked at her speechless. He had been waiting for this day for so long. "Can you believe it! Finally!"

"How? When?"

She explained getting the phone call on Thursday and the office and lunch. "I wanted to surprise you in person."

He kissed her and held her. Finally, they were free. He whispered in her ear, "Oh Jen, I love you so much. I want to love you forever."

She tilted her head and looked at him. She had tears in her eyes. "What?"

"I said, I love you. I have wanted to tell you hundreds times, but I had this crazy idea to wait until you were truly mine and now you are." He gazed into her intoxicating mocha brown eyes.

"I love you too. I almost told you too, but I was afraid I'd scare you away."

"Never! I have never felt love like this before." He kissed her, taking in her taste and possessing her.

Breathing heavily, she said, "I want to walk down the street with you. I want to go see your house."

"Our house, I am building that house for you even if it's only for weekends and vacations."

"Part of loving you is truly knowing you. I realized a long time ago that when my being in New York doesn't work anymore, I will come home for good. I can't yet, because I owe it to Dixon Designs to prepare it to survive without me. You built your business on your own. It was your dream. My own firm was never my dream. My dream is building a life with you."

"Are you sure because if I had to move to New York to keep you, I would."

"That's one reason I love you so much. I need to tell my parents."

He watched as she took out her phone. "Hi, mom. I have good news. The judge signed the paper so I'm officially divorced... Yes, it's good news... I found someone new... I know it's fast, but I want to bring him by... Mom, I love him and you will too... I definitely picked right this time... Tomorrow morning, we'll stop in. Okay. I love you... Bye."

"You're crazy. You want us to just walk in together!" She laughed as she nodded. "Then I'm gonna call my mother and tell her I'm bringing someone for her to meet."

"I've been wanting to meet your mother for a long time."

He took her out to dinner in Portland. They didn't care if anyone saw them. He was unbelievably happy. Lingering in his mind, he knew they had deceived the people they loved.

Jen woke early. "Let's go get coffee and see my house."

His heart exploded with one little pronoun, my, my house. Still, he ribbed her. "Our house. How about you make coffee and we stay here?"

"You're scared. Big, strong man is afraid of my father." She laughed trying to tickle him.

"Keep that up and we won't be going anywhere." He warned as he pinned her beneath him.

"No, we have plenty of time for that later. I'm taking a shower." She rolled off the bed.

He was nervous, in fact, he hadn't been this nervous in a long time, perhaps since he boarded the plane to go see her in New York. Her parents loved her and parents can be very accepting of their children for that reason. His parents had been very accepting of him over the years when he didn't deserve it. Jen was bursting with excitement. He knew she had been forced to keep away from her friends and family weekend after weekend. She told him she felt freer than she had in a very long time. He wondered how long before she'd be willing to trade her new freedom to become his wife.

He parked outside The Landing. "You should go in. I'll just wait for you at the house."

"You are really scared. They'll be happy. Once they get past the shock. How about you give me a few minutes? Then come in." She conceded.