26 - Avery/ Sterling/Jen

Avery

Both she and Tom left their respective offices at a decent time. She was leaving in the morning for a quick overnight trip. It would be their first night apart since they met. She was afraid she may have to go away a few days the next week or the week after. Avery always enjoyed her jet-setting, but suddenly the appeal was fading fast. Tonight they planned to enjoy their time together. She had never fallen so quickly for anyone, ever. He was just so everything.

They were eating Thai delivery when she had a call from downstairs. She answered, "Good evening, Walt."

"Mr. Dixon is asking to come up."

Great, there goes our evening. "Send him up." She turned to Tom. "Sorry, but he will never go away if I don't see him. I don't know how he knows I'm home."

She introduced Sterling to Tom. She watched as Sterling assessed him. Tom had taken off his suit jacket and tie. His shirt sleeves were rolled up past his elbows. He stood and shook Sterling's hand. "Tom Goodwin. Should I leave?" He looked at Avery.

Avery answered, "No!"

Sterling looked as if he'd prefer privacy, but Avery didn't care. Sterling said, "I went to see an attorney about the..."

"Divorce. Ster, Tom knows. Jen lives here. Remember?"

"He thinks it will go quickly, but he told me there will be a public record and the press may get a hold of it." He looked worried.

"Sterling, you can't just pretend you two are still married."

"Fine, I know, but public. It'll ruin us!"

"No, it won't. You need to control your own narrative." Avery suggested. "You can put out a press release. You should hire a publicist to handle the damage control if you're so worried."

"A publicist, that's just what we need!"

"I work with them all the time. I can give you a few names of people I like."

"Have you heard from Jennifer?"

"No, I think she's been busy. She's probably dealing with the builder." Avery caught Tom's eye.

"All builders are the same. She's probably miserable dealing with that fat, old guy who thinks building a couple houses a year is enough." Sterling didn't see Tom smirking.

"I think you may have described him perfectly. Don't you need to get home?"

"Fine, I can see that you're too busy for your friends now." Sterling whined.

"Go cry on the shoulder waiting for you at home. You remember the one that got you into this mess. Goodbye Ster." She kissed him on the cheek. Sterling was exhausting and needy.

The minute the door shut behind Sterling, they both started laughing. Tom spoke between laughs. "Why didn't you set him straight?"

"He'd be jealous if he thought she was hanging out with a hunky builder. He agreed to the divorce, but he still thinks he controls her."

"I didn't like him and his weak handshake. A strong handshake shows character."

"That's okay. He didn't like you either. He'll really dislike you when he finds out you're from Maine. I couldn't care less because I like you." When Tom raised his eyebrows, she added, "A lot!"

" When Tom raised his eyebrows, she added, "A lot!"