19 - Jen/ Alex

Jen

She wasn't sure why she was so bothered by his comment. She didn't want to be the topic of gossip. There was nothing going on between them except a one-sided crush. Truthfully she had other things to think about. She intended to tell her parents about the divorce, but each time she sat with them she couldn't find the words. On Saturday, she walked with Megan on the beach.

"Please don't tell anyone, not even Peter." Megan nodded. "I saw a lawyer last week."

"Are you sure? That was the biggest mistake I ever made."

"I know now we were never right. He kept me away from my home and he doesn't want a baby, but also he doesn't love me. He loves someone else."

"You're sure? Even if his new love doesn't work out, you wouldn't want him?"

"No, absolutely not."

After she heard Alex mention David, she called her former mentor. He insisted they get together. It was perfect because she was feeling uncomfortable about the birthday party, especially after her last conversation with Alex. She arrived at the party early, saw the twins and helped Megan. She left as the house filled up with guests.

When Alex came in, she took in the way he looked and stopped herself from wondering if he smelled as good as he had on Friday. Luckily he was busy talking with his poker friends, so she left without speaking to him. She said goodbye to Megan and her mother and walked home. When David arrived, she was ready.

"Look at you all grown up and making a name for yourself!" He greeted her. She hugged her father and climbed into David's car. "I want to hear all about your glamorous life in the Big Apple."

"I'm not sure how glamorous it is. I spend most of my time working."

"So modest, I stalk you and know there are gorgeous pictures of you all over the internet. The stunning Dixons, the famous designers of the wealthy New York society," he said dramatically.

"There are not nearly as many of those parties as you imagine. I'm far more likely to be studying paint swatches at midnight than dancing."

"How did you find yourself working with that fine specimen, Alex Goodwin?"

"The house is for one of my clients. I love that I could come home."

"He's a dream to work with. So good at what he does," David said with a flare.

"Sounds to me like you're in love with the man." Jen laughed. She had no issue with David's homosexuality because he never deceived her by pretending to be something he wasn't.

"He has done remarkably well for himself after he was sent adrift on his own."

"What are you talking about?"

"I shouldn't say anything, but one day he was his stepfather's protégé and the next day, he was on his own. The rumors were flying, but he survived it and rose to the top."

Jen didn't know what to say, but suddenly his comment about rumors on Friday didn't seem so harsh.

"He's good at what he does."

"He is, but oh if only I were his type."

He swooned.

Jen knew that feeling. David took her for an early dinner or was it a late lunch? At his request, she took out her laptop and shared her portfolio of work with him. He oohed and aahed and made comments.

With her second glass of wine, she asked, "Could you tell me why a gay man would marry a woman?"

"Oh, that's not an easy one. They're typically fooling themselves or their family or the world or all of the above. Why do you ask?"