17 - Sterling/ Alex/ Jen

Sterling

How could she go to Betsy Yates? Did she discuss their private business? Jennifer knew he was a private person. He liked to control how the world viewed him. He had thought she would keep things status quo. How would he ever explain their divorce?

He wanted to talk to Trevor, but Trevor would be happy. Trevor was growing tired of Sterling complaining about Jennifer.

Sterling was afraid Jennifer would leave Dixon Designs. Even though he pretended he was the most pivotal person in the firm, her talent was the reason for their success. Could Trevor take her place? Not with the same success. He had trouble selling Trevor to clients. Some only wanted Jennifer.

She said she'd stay as long as he was nice. Suddenly the power had shifted. He had been the one controlling her, but now she could take down his whole business. Nice, he could be nice.

Perhaps Jennifer would keep their divorce private. If she started dating, he could blame the divorce on her. Would Trevor be happy to stay in the background? Right now he was cooperative however Sterling was sure Lexi knew what was happening. That was another thing to worry about if Jennifer left, Lexi would go with her.

Before the night was over Sterling had worked himself into a state, he had Dixon Designs bankrupted and he was homeless all because of Jennifer. Then he decided he and Trevor could move and start over in a new city. Atlanta? He could never tell his family the truth. Dallas? No. San Francisco? Yes. They could be successful there with no snow to deal with. So he had a contingency plan. Now he needed to hold on to Trevor.

 Now he needed to hold on to Trevor

Alex

When he saw her stride towards him smiling all he could think was wow! She looked beautiful, and he had to control an overwhelming desire to pull her into his arms.

Did she feel the pull between us or was it just him?

When she reached him, she said, "Thanks for coming to get me."

"I don't mind. I thought we could go right to the house, but I really want a coffee."

"Me too! All coffee tastes like garbage now compared to my dad's."

"Don't I know it."

As they entered The Landing together, he remembered their first meeting. It was a lesson in not trusting first impressions. He watched as she greeted Rick and ran up to see Alice.

"Thanks for getting her," Rick said.

"Dealing with the designer is just part of the job." He tried to sound nonchalant.

"Have you worked with many before?" Rick asked.

"A couple, but none with her level of talent. I like one from Portland, David..."

Jen stepped into the market. "I didn't know you knew David! I worked with him over my summer breaks a long time ago. We still keep in touch."

He handed her a coffee, and they climbed back in the truck. He was eager for her to see the progress. It was his surprise for her. He had spent all week working on the built-ins and enjoyed building something for a change.

She was pleased. It was written all over her face. When she smiled, he could drown in her mocha eyes. They did the ceilings on the first floor, and they were working on bathrooms. They had completed the large tiled shower in the master which she also loved.

"I would love a shower like this. Wow!"

She was acting as excited as a kid on Christmas. Her happiness was contagious. He felt it, but also he noticed the guys on the crew humming. He suspected she was helping productivity.

They discussed details, and he took notes. He wondered if she needed to come, but wasn't about to complain. When they were out of things to discuss, he offered to drive her back.

"No, I'd like to walk."

"What are you doing the rest of the day?"

"I might go to a few furniture stores. I also need birthday presents for the twins."

"Oh, I forgot about that. I do too." He didn't know what to get. Tentatively, he asked, "Could we shop together?" She agreed. "I'll pick you up on my way out. I wanted you to see the flip too. We can stop there."

"I might do paperwork today and furniture tomorrow. I'll see you later."

He stood and watched her walk away. If only she weren't married, he could think of some things to do with her. Back to work, he chided himself.

 Back to work, he chided himself

Jen

They had done so much in two weeks. The ceilings looked great and the built-ins were beautiful. He was talented and so different from her first impression. She set to work on a table downstairs in The Landing. She liked the activity of people coming and going.

Before lunchtime, a woman approached her.

"I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kristi, Megan's friend."

"Oh right. You live across from her. Your husband plays poker. Jen." She held out her hand. "Nice to meet you."

"How long are you here for?"

"Just until Sunday. I'll be here for a long stretch when the house gets turned over to me."

"I know Megan's glad you're coming home again."

"It's wonderful to see her again. Truthfully, I had trouble with their divorce. I let myself get distant. I feel bad now. I wasn't a friend to her when she needed one."

Suddenly she understood how difficult it must have been for Megan now that she was facing a divorce herself.

"She always loved you, but she missed you. She thought you stayed away for your own reasons."

"I did. I have always worked too hard and never took vacations."

The only vacations she ever took were the ones Sterling wanted. She should have stood up to him long ago.

She changed the subject and asked, "I'm planning to buy birthday presents for Nick and Sophie, do you have any ideas of what they might like?"

Kristi gave her some ideas. Sophie loved crafts and Nick loved sports and science. "Just like his father."

Kristi asked about her work, and she showed her some designs on her laptop. They fell into an easy conversation and Jen didn't even notice the lunch crowd had come in. It wasn't until Kristi stood up to leave that Jen noticed Alex having his lunch. Kristi stopped on the way out to talk to him. They both smiled and laughed. Everyone liked him and she could no longer deny she did too.