4 - Jen/ Alex

Jen

She stopped for the night in Sturbridge. It had taken her almost five hours with traffic. She texted Sterling to let him know that she was safe, but she wasn't ready to hear his voice.

Exhaustion took over and she slept. She woke confused until she remembered. She was going home. Was it strange she hadn't cried?

She was too tired the night before to listen to Sterling's messages. First, she called her mother to let her know she was coming and then she called Sydney Thompson.

"I'll take on your new home... on The Point."

"Oh, Jennifer! I'm thrilled!"

"I just finished a big project so I'm ready to head up to get started right away. I'll need access for measurements and sketches."

"Alex, my builder, can let you in. I'll text you his number. I'm already planning to fly up on Thursday to see the progress."

"Perfect we can meet on Thursday afternoon."

She took a deep breath before listening to Sterling's messages. He had responded to the text. She sent with a simple message, Darling please talk to me. The first voicemail he left was out on the street, "Darling, I'm sorry." The next was as expected, "Where are you? I thought you'd be with Avery." Then he returned home, "I can't believe you left. You can't drive all that way. Please call me."

As the messages went on, they were a combination of apology, pleading and worry. Each was more dramatic, and it was obvious to Jen that he was drinking. She pictured him alone in their apartment, sitting in dim light drinking - wine or perhaps the scotch a client gave him for Christmas.

Sterling had perfected how to nurse a drink. He may wine and dine clients, but he drank very little himself. He needed to stay sharp. Jen knew if he drank too much his southern drawl came back and Sterling had erased almost as much of his past as he had hers.

She took advantage of the hotel's free coffee and ate yogurt. Dressed in jeans and a tee shirt, she finally felt like Jen. As she started driving up the Mass Pike, she was focusing on The Point and going home after so long.

The rain followed her north as thoughts swirled through her head. There were signs she missed. Ever since summer, things had felt off to her. She thought of that day on the beach. What a fool she was! She felt like an idiot.

They had a company outing with their two employees in the Hamptons after Jen finished her projects. Lexi, who handled the office and billing, was beautiful and young. Not that they were old, but twenty-three was young. She fit Sterling's vision for Dixon Designs. She was tall, thin, gorgeous and dressed in designer clothing - thanks to her father's credit cards.

Lexi and Trevor, her design assistant, threw a Frisbee. Lexi looked like a knockout in her bikini with just enough material to cover her ample breasts.

Sterling was watching and hw shocked Jen, because he was enjoying it more than a husband should. She moved closer to him and put a towel on his lap and slipped her hand underneath.

He looked at her surprised and she whispered, "Somehow I don't think this is for me. I know she's hot, but really!" Then to mark what was hers, she kissed him.

Sterling was not keen on public displays of affection. "Jennifer, we're in public, not our bedroom."

"Tell that to yourself." She snapped as she stroked his boner under the towel and pulled her hand out with her insides churning.

Once alone, Sterling said sharply, "Jennifer, what were you thinking on the beach?"

"I think the question is what were you thinking? I decided not to be angry you got a hard-on watching Lexi. However, if you ever screw her or anyone else, Dixon Designs will be short one Dixon!"

"Darling, you know I need you." He set out to prove to her just how much.

Her phone rang. It was Avery, but she didn't answer, because she hadn't called Sterling. She couldn't.

Could she go through with the threat she made last summer? Could she walk away from Dixon Design?

Alex

He had done alright for himself and built a successful business. Over the past few years, he started taking on multiple projects and increased his crew. On a typical day, he would travel between two or three job sites, arrange subcontractors, and talk to clients and vendors. He started good days with coffee and a muffin from The Landing. Rick treated him like the son, he never had. Although Alex already had two fathers, he enjoyed his friendship with the older man.

When he bought the first cottage on The Point to renovate and flip, he was down and out. His stepfather had fired him and was lucky not to be disowned. Hank had made him the foreman, and he took his trust and ruined it.

He was working at his current flip when he heard a voice calling out, "Hello." Marcy, his realtor, continued, "I was driving by and saw your truck. It's looking good."

"I see dollar signs in your eyes." He teased.

"Not like the ones, I see when I think of your Higgins Beach house. I never regret the day you called me to show you that first cottage."

Alex laughed. "You didn't know what to think of me."

"You looked like a kid. Hell, you were just a kid. I didn't think you knew what you were getting into."

"Yeah, Yeah, I know." They had an easy rapport.

"You really need to find yourself a nice girl to spend your money!"

"Please don't start. I already have a mother and a sister to nag me about that."

"You're too good of a catch. If only, I was younger."

"I have rules and since you have a husband, I'd be breaking rule number one."

Marcy laughed. "Plenty of girls would break all the rules with you."

Alex thought about the relationship he was in with Julia. As much as he liked her, he couldn't imagine her being the one to spend all his money. They were just having fun.