49 - Alex

Alex

Alex listened to the doctor as he asked questions and his mother answered most of them. He knew his grandmother had died unexpectedly and the story of his uncle was the family tragedy, but it never affected him, until now. Jen was squeezing his hand, and he was trying to reassure her by holding her hand with his other one.

The doctor explained, "I've asked one of my associates to review your chart. He specializes in electrophysiology which is arrhythmias and other electrical conditions. There are medications, but often the safest course of action is an implanted defibrillator. It will shock the heart to correct an irregular rhythm."

"But I'm a builder. I do manual labor."

"It doesn't stop you from leading a normal life. Let's wait for the consultation, but I can assure you the devices are very small."

"I have two other children and a grandson?" Paula said concerned.

"Yours?" he asked both Alex and Jen.

"No, but we hope to." Alex answered, suddenly afraid.

"My colleague will answer those questions, but your life will hardly change. In the meantime, we'll continue to monitor your heart. We'll admit you for the night."

When he left his mother said, "He was nice, but I'm not sure what it all means."

Jen said, "Maybe Kate should be here next time. She works with heart patients in intensive care."

Alex could see the worry lines on, Jen's face. "Come here." He pulled her in and whispered, "It's gonna be alright. Don't worry." He was the one in the hospital bed with wires all over him and he was concerned about her.

His mother said, "I'll go check on the others."

Alex suspected that she wanted to give them time alone. "Jenny honey, we'll be okay. We've got each other, and that's all that matters."

"I love you so much," she said.

Suddenly Cara was back. "We'll get you upstairs to the cardiac floor."

"What do you think about what they're saying?" Alex asked.

"I think Dr. Adams and Dr. Fine are good doctors and they'll take good care of you."

She asked Jen to carry the bag containing his belongings which included his heavy work boots.

Jen said to her, "Thanks for taking care of him."

Cara smiled. "It's my job. I'm just glad he's happy thanks to you. I'll tell the mob in the waiting room your room number."

Another member of the staff came and pushed Alex in the bed to an elevator and then to another room where a nurse was waiting. When he realized they would lift him on to the other bed, he said, "I can walk! Besides, I need the bathroom."

"Alright, but I need to disconnect you and you have the IV. See how you feel standing. Is your head okay?"

Jen asked, "Do you need help?"

Alex came close to snapping at her, but took a deep breath. "No, really, I am fine."

His head hurt, but he wasn't an invalid. He didn't like being sick and definitely didn't want to feel helpless. He was just settled back in the bed when his room filled with family.

He said to Tom, "I'm not dying. You two should go back to New York. You have important jobs."

"We'll fly home tomorrow night."

"Then go to wherever you're sleeping tonight."

Kate said, "You can stay at my house. Matt's home with the baby. Take my car."

"How are you going to get home?" Tom asked.

"Mom and I will leave right after we talk to Dr. Fine. You'll drop me?" she asked her mother.

Avery said, "What about Jen?"

"I'll be fine. I'm staying longer."

"Do you want to stay alone?" Alex asked.

"Yes, I think I do." He squeezed her hand because he knew she wouldn't need to be strong if she was alone.

Hank said, "Alex, I'll touch base with Will in the morning. I can check on your jobs too. You know, talk to your crews."

"You don't mind?"

"No, I don't want you to worry about a thing." Then he told his wife he'd see her at home.

When it was just the four of them, he asked Kate about the condition they thought he had. She repeated most of what the doctor had said. They were all silently waiting when Dr. Fine came in.

He greeted them and then noticed Kate. She said, "Alex is my brother."

He explained much of what the other doctor had. He also explained that he definitely recommended the defibrillator and explained the procedure and how it was minimally invasive.

"How long will I have to stay in the hospital?"

"You can go home a few hours after the procedure to recover."

"I build houses. Can I work?"

"You'll be limited for eight weeks which includes no heavy lifting and limited movement of your left arm. After that, you can live a perfectly normal life."

His mother asked, "What about the others? Kate and her brother and the baby?"

"We'll do some testing and monitoring. If deemed necessary, they'll get a device. Kate, the baby can see the pediatric cardiologist for an EKG."

Alex asked, "What about dad and the boys?"

Kate said, "They'll do whatever we do." She looked at the doctor. "Our half-brothers."

His mother asked a few questions, but Kate pushed her out the door leaving Alex and Jen with the doctor.

Alex asked, "Do you put this thing in?"

"Yes. Unless you need more time, I will do it tomorrow."

Jen asked the question they both were fearing, "Does this mean we shouldn't have children?"

"That's your decision, but although you could pass it on to your child, you may not. It will just mean some extra monitoring. It's no different from what Kate's baby will have."

Alex watched as the relief washed over Jen's face. The doctor added, "You'll be somewhat restricted in that department until the incision heals and the eight weeks of restricted arm movement is over."

He left and advised them to talk it over and to let the nurse know if he wanted to be scheduled for the procedure.

Once alone, Alex said, "I think we can manage without me moving my arm."

"Really that's what you're thinking about. I'm worried about you having surgery and having wires poked into your heart."

"He said it is routine and of course I was thinking of that, but I can barely survive without you for four days never mind eight weeks."

His procedure was tentatively scheduled for nine am. He missed her the minute she left to go home and decided he hated hospitals.

A/N If you are a medical person remember this is fiction. I have some knowledge on the subject so this story shouldn't be totally off the mark. We write what we know. Relax! The doctor said he'd live a normal life.