42 - Alex/ Jen/ Alex

Alex

Pulling himself away from Jen's mouth he said, "The bed's not even made yet. This place is a disaster."

He watched as she looked around. He had pushed to get the master bedroom completed although the carpet would need to wait. The master bath was also done. The kitchen cabinets were in, but the stoneworks had a delay on the counter. All his paperwork and files and her kitchen items were in boxes.

"Looks like we're back to take out."

"It's close to being done. Maybe you should go when you're done since I'll have crews in here every day," he said, regretfully.

"Now you tell me." She went to work making the bed and Alex helped. "Am I hiding from your crew too?"

"I don't know how you can at this point. I want you here, but this whole situation is a mess." He pulled her into his arms and kissed her hair. Thankfully, the bed was made enough because he couldn't wait any longer.

Afterward, he said, "I will send the guys to another project for Thursday and Friday. You can help me paint. I've scheduled the floors for next week."

"You're sure? I could go to my parents."

"No, no... I want you with me." He thought always.

Alex finished his work at the Higgins house ready for Jen to take over. They walked through on the weekend and he agreed to help her Tuesday evening, like he had before. He loved the way they were becoming a team.

He was almost done with the crazy clients and would need to celebrate when he received that check. He had a bunch of small projects going on, but his next big project was his new house on The Point. He had received approval from the town to build up and expand out. He wanted to create as much space as possible and together he and Jen worked out the layout. It would be similar to Megan and Kristi's, but they were adding a good size office. Jen had assured him, he could put a flat screen on the wall so he could work in front of the game. She also convinced him to build his storage needs for his files around the perimeter. She would keep him organized.

"There's more space than I need."

She replied, "I'll need a workspace, too."

His belly flipped when she said it because every part of him wanted to tell her he loved her. He wanted to ask her to marry him and have his children, but he couldn't, not yet.

There was so much left unsaid as they planned his - their house. The other bedrooms they would fill with children one day. The built-ins in the living room with low bookshelves that could hold children's books and toys. Was she thinking of all these things too? He wanted to ask but needed to wait. How much longer he wondered. Six to nine months, but it had been over four months since she left him - since they met.

He hadn't heard from his brother since the Fourth of July. Truthfully until their lives intersected with Jen and Avery, they didn't talk often, because each worked too much. Jen had talked to Avery, but hadn't seen her since Maine.

"I'm too busy working during the week, so I can fly to you on the weekends."

Alex had a nagging feeling, Tom didn't approve of him and Jen. He hoped he liked Jen. Really, how could he not? Not only was she kind, but she was Avery's best friend.

"Do you think they have an issue with us?" Alex asked.

"I hope not. I think they're too into each other. They were the ones playing games with us trying to force us together back in May." Jen reminded him.