Chapter 7

“So, did you two have a nice date?” John asked after a few minutes.

“Yes, it was very lovely.”

“That’s nice.”

Just then, Sherlock and Mrs. Hudson came in and saved John and I from having to make conversation.

“What’s this all about then, Sherlock?” Mrs. Hudson smiled when she saw me standing next to Sherlock.

“Elizabeth and I have something to tell you.”

“Oh, Sherlock! Are you two getting married? Oh, I’m so happy for you!” She ran over and hugged the both of us, then ran downstairs to phone her friends. John, meanwhile, just stared at Sherlock, then me, then back at Sherlock.

“You’re…you’re getting… married?”  He said, shocked.

Sherlock nodded, clearly pleased with himself. I held my hand out to show him the ring. He took my hand and examined the large green jewel on the silver band.

“Wow.” That’s all he said. He sat down on his chair after that, clearly surprised. He sat there for quite a while, just staring into space. Finally, Sherlock said it was time for me to go home. We left the john still sitting in his chair. During the taxi ride back to my apartment, I couldn’t stop thinking about what the doctor said. Sherlock volunteered to go with me, but I refused, saying that I could handle whatever the doctor wanted to tell me. As soon as I walked into my flat, the phone rang. It was Sherlock. He wanted to know if we could reschedule the meeting with the wedding planner to a different date, saying that he had to take a look at a crime scene. I agreed and after I hung up the phone, it started ringing again.

“Hello?”

“Hi, is this Miss Elizabeth Cumberbatch?”

“Yes. Who is this?”

“It’s Clara, from Doctor Smiths office. I just wanted to know if we could reschedule your recheck appointment. What days are good for you?”