Chapter Fifteen

The next day, I decided to invite Sherlock to dinner. Then I could slip some arsenic into his wine and he would be dead within a day.

“Hello?”

“Hi, John. Is Sherlock there?”

“Oh, yeah. Hold on.” He sounded genuinely surprised that I was calling.

“Hello?” Sherlock picked up the phone.

“Hello, Sherlock. I was just wondering if you want to come over for dinner tonight.”

“Alright. What time should I come over?”

“About 5:30. Does that sound okay?”

“Yes, I’ll see you then.” He hung up. As I put the phone back in my pocket, I realized what I had just done. I had invited him to his death.

The next night, Sherlock arrived exactly when he said he would. The poisoned wine was already on the table, so I wouldn’t have to do anything to it while he was here. We walked over to my dining room table and sat down. I had only made the first course because he wouldn’t last until the second. I had everything prepared so he wouldn’t see my hands shaking if I served.

“How are you?”

“Fine. How about you?”

“Good.”

After that it was quiet except for the clink of forks against glass plates. Sherlock set his fork down and started to pick up his glass. Then, he drank the wine that would end his life. I picked up my glass and took a sip.Suddenly I started to cough. I started to cough hard.

“Elizabeth?” I could hear the levels of panic rising in his voice.

“I’m fine.” I managed to choke out.

He rushed over to me and began to pat my back. Suddenly, I fell backwards, hitting my head in the cold wood floor. I started convulsing violently. Oh no. I mixed up the glasses! Goodbye, Kate. Goodbye, Sherlock. His face was masked with horror above me. Then, the world went black.