Chapter Nineteen

She started typing on her laptop and then looked back up at me.

"Complications? You were arrested for the attempted murder of your ex-fiancé."

"I know. I was told I would be able to get permanent custody over my daughter again."

"I'll have to take it up with the manager. Just wait here."

She walked out through the door in the back at the back of the office. I waited, wondering what could be taking so long. After about fifteen minutes, the receptionist came back, carrying some papers.

"It appears that your ex-fiancé, Sherlock Holmes, is the father of Catherine Diana Cumberbatch so we sent her to live with him."

I frowned. She was living with Sherlock. The only person I had hoped she didn't get sent to. Of course, they would never send her to live with my mom if she could go to her dad.

"You can go pick her up from his apartment this afternoon." She went back to playing her game. I walked out the front door and hailed a cab. As I sat in the back of the taxi, I wondered what Sherlock would say about my last words to him as I watched him convulse violently on the bridge.

"I had to kill you. Sherlock Holmes, I never stopped loving you."

I dreaded seeing him again. Maybe he would want to get back together. Maybe he would change his mind and press charges against me, so that he could keep Catherine. As I walked up the drive to his flat, I knew this conversation was unavoidable, that we would have to talk about it sooner or later. I had just chosen sooner. I rung the doorbell, hoping it wasn't Sherlock who answered the door. It was Mrs. Hudson. Her face spread into a smile that reached her ears when she saw me sanding there.

"Elizabeth! It's been forever! Do you want to come in?"

"No, I'm good. Is Sherlock here?"

"I'm sorry dear, he's at work."

"Did he take Kate with him?"

"No, Kate's upstairs. I'm watching her."

"I'm here to take her home with home with me."

"I'm sorry, dear. I think you should take that up with Sherlock."

She closed the door, not wanting to go any further with this discussion. I walked back to the cab and told the driver to take me to Mr. Kalians field. It had been abandoned for years, but just recently some teenagers had been messing around out there and found a body. Naturally, Sherlock wanted to take a look. When I got there, it was just him. It looked like he was done; he was walking towards the taxi. I got out and walked out in the middle of the field towards him.