Chapter 14

That night, I couldn’t sleep. I already knew what I was going to do. I wasn’t happy with my decision, but there was no way around it. So when Moriarty came back for an answer, I was ready.

“Take me home.”

He grinned, and motioned for me to follow him. My legs were stiff from sitting so long, so I stretched them as soon as I had enough room. He led me to the same van I was brought to the warehouse in and opened the door. I got in the back and he got in the front. I jumped as the car started, not being used to noise. On the ride back to my apartment, I felt guilty. It had crossed my mind that maybe the reason I felt guilty was because I still had feelings for Sherlock, but I quickly dismissed that. The van stopped next to a ditch. Moriarty handed me a cell phone.

“Now, I want you to have the job finished in one week, or Kate and I take a vacation. And by the way, you can’t call the police. Ciao!”

I got out of the vehicle that had first taken me away from my baby and watched it until it turned a corner and was gone. The cold rain drenched my clothes quickly and I finally remembered I had a phone. I called the police station to let them know of my whereabouts. They told someone would come to pick me up in a few minutes. When the police cruiser came around the bend, I could barely hold in my excitement. I was going to see Kate again. She and I were going to be safe, never having to worry about Moriarty ever again. The officer asked me plenty of times if I was okay, and after multiple tries, I convinced him not to take me to the hospital, to just take me back to my apartment. When he dropped me off in front of my flat, it took everything I had to not run up the stairs. When I opened the door of Kate’s bedroom, I saw something that took my breath away. Sherlock was sitting in the chair next to the crib, rocking my sleeping daughter. He looked up when he heard the door open.

“Elizabeth.” He put Kate back in her crib gently then came over and enveloped me in a crushing bear hug. I hugged him back, glad to feel the warmth of another human again. Then I remembered what I had to do to him within a week. I pulled away.

“Sherlock. How is Kate?” I walked over to her crib and looked down lovingly at my eight-day-old daughter.

“She’s fine. What about you? Shouldn’t you be at a hospital?”

I smiled. Just like him to worry about me like that.

“I’m fine. I don’t need to go to the hospital.” He walked over to me, took my hands and looked me directly on the eye.

“Are you sure? Because I can take you to saint Bartholomew’s right now, have Della take a look at you.”

“I’m fine, Sherlock.”

He didn’t believe me. I could see it in his eyes, but he didn’t take it any farther.

“I should be going. Lestrade has a big case that he needs help with.”

He started to walk out the door, and then turned.

“I’m glad you’re okay, Elizabeth.”

I nodded, and watched as the man I had to murder walked out of our daughters’ nursery.