chapter ten.

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN.
we follow a crazy man.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

      When Sage awoke, it was safe to say it was her most comfortable awakening. This was due to the blissful sensation of her hair being played with. For a moment she was confused but quickly remembered who she had fallen asleep with. The memory caused her to smile softly.

     Her eyes quickly fluttered shut when a voice spoke up, not intending to join in conversation.

    "You pull me off work detail. You offer me food. You let me bring her. Why are you being so nice to me?" Murphy asked.

    "Everyone deserves a second chance. That's why we sent the hundred to the Earth in the first place." Jaha responded.

    "What a load of crap. You didn't give a damn about us. You still don't that's why you're not fighting for those kids in Mount Weather." Murphy spat, his words harsh despite his tender touch as his fingers ran through Sage's curls.

    "I have to think of everyone. I know you don't want to hear this but sometimes you have to sacrifice the few to save the many. Like I said, good can come out of even the darkest acts." The older man explained.

    "Then you can take it from me, I was pardoned, slate wiped clean I'm still treated like dirt." Murphy muttered bitterly. Sage felt sorry for the boy really. He didn't deserve the treatment he suffered. Sage could tell he was trying his absolute hardest to make up for his past actions but it was proving difficult when nobody took him seriously and doubted his every move.

    "You've made mistakes, so have I." Jaha admitted.

    "I'm nothing like you, Chancellor." Murphy denied, wiping his nose and looking around the room before finally meeting on the Chancellor's eyes.

    "No? We both should have died several times over. We both suffered at the hands of the grounders. We both have been betrayed and imprisoned by our own people." Jaha listed.

    "So there's no place for us, great. Thought you were supposed to be inspiring." Murphy smirked.

    "There is a place for all of us. Sage included. I know you will bring her. I heard about your pact earlier." Jaha stated.

    "Who said I was going anywhere with you? Let alone dragging her into this. She's... she's not like us. She's... good." Murphy spoke, glancing down at the girl resting in his lap.

    "You don't have to come with me. But I think it's best. For the both of you. When I first landed on Earth I met a woman who spoke of a place beyond the dead zone, a place where everyone is accepted. A city of light." Jaha elaborated.