chapter eighteen.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.
bitch in the red dress.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Leaves crunched loudly beneath her heavy combat boots as Sage followed aimlessly behind an equally exhausted Murphy. They didn't know how long they had been walking nor where it was they were going. Their only reliable source was a bloody drone, which had driven Jaha away all those months ago.

It didn't really hit the pair until they were out, just how many days they had been deprived of the outside world, the fresh air, the sight of greenery. Sage was so used to living in a luxurious space she forgot the sweet sweet sensation of the sun glistening down upon her skin. Just as the girl was about to reach for her canteen which she had been smart enough to pack, the drone leading them began to speed up and took off.

"Shit!" Murphy cursed as he quickened his pace. Sage was hot on his heels and bolted behind him, even overtaking him at one point. To this, she smirked to herself. The two raced after the aircraft, skidding through foliage and tripping over various branches and twigs. They rushed around a corner, still following behind the drone flying high. Afraid, they were going to lose it, both Sage and Murphy sped up. Bolting so quickly, their legs were on fire.

The drone led them out into the open, a plain vast field with almost nothing in sight. Sage let out a groan, knowing the drone was well on its way and had led them to a dead end.

  "Oh for the love of God." Murphy grumbled.

"Wait. That looks like-" Sage started, squinting her eyes on the horizon to see if what she thought she was seeing wasn't simply a fragment of her imagination. "Tell me I'm not the only one who sees the mansion on the horizon."

"You're not." Murphy replied, also squinting before turning to the girl, a beam stretching across his lips.

The girl opened her mouth to reply but was cut off by the loud clapping of thunder up ahead. The pair looked up, their eyes meeting the unmistakable sight of grey clouds, simmering with lightning and rumbling with thunder so loud, Sage shivered in her place.

Although the shivering could also be blamed on the soft pitter of rain starting to fall. Looking toward the sky, Sage squinted to avoid the water sprinkling down.

"We gotta get over there!" Sage shouted, the rain now falling heavier and thus creating a louder environment in which the girl had to raise her voice to communicate.

Latching her hand onto Murphy's arm, Sage began to sprint toward what she hoped was some sort of safe haven. The boy followed her, mostly because she was forcing him to but also because he could sense her urgency. Tugging him along the two began to once again run as quickly as they could, trying their hardest to ignore the rain beating down. Sage continued to rush, accidentally causing Murphy to slip and fall, slowing them down.