chapter twelve.

CHAPTER TWELVE

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

CHAPTER TWELVE.
sinking sun.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

    When Sage was younger, she was quite the extrovert. She tended to surround herself with people and was what one might call a 'people person'. If her younger self could see her now, in the desert, running away from the civilisation she once knew, she would be disappointed.

     But that didn't matter because she was content with her choice, that was until she found herself pouring sand out of her shoe and cringing at yet another cheesy joke one of the remaining group members cracked.

     "Hey, tell me if you know this one." Harris started, his tone excited as he prepared his next shitty joke.

     "Not again, please." Murphy muttered at the same time Sage groaned in annoyance.

     "A Grounder and a Reaper walk into a bar. The bartender looks to the Grounder, he says, 'We don't serve your kind around here.' The Reaper gets up and leaves." Harris chuckled to himself.

     "You get it? Reapers eat Grounders." He explained when nobody laughed. Although they all knew it wasn't because of a misunderstanding, it simply wasn't humorous.

     "I will take Jaha's staff and beat you to death with it." Murphy threatened blatantly, turning around to face the man for only a brief moment.

     "John." Jaha warned, shutting the boy up.

     "Or this one. Uh, an Arker, a Grounder, and a Mountain Man walk into a bar. Arker says 'I'll take some moonshine.' Grounder says 'I'll take some, too.'" Sage rolled her eyes and glanced to Murphy who looked as though he would cry out of pain from listening to Harris. "The Mountain Man, he says—"

     Harris's words were cut short when a large explosion blew out beneath his feet. Sage jumped back as the man's body flew and blew into bits before her very eyes. She and Murphy stumbled back as they gazed in shock at the remains. The man, breathing and laughing only moments ago was no more and only a pile of disembodied limbs and scattered ashes. Sage cringed at the icky feeling of warm liquid coating her face, during the explosion, the man's blood had splattered onto the remaining group members, staining them physically and mentally.

     Sage breathed heavily, her chest rising and falling quickly as she lay uncomfortable against Murphy who had fallen also.

     "You okay?" He asked despite being out of breath. He glanced over her shoulder meeting her eyes as she stared shock still evident in her eyes.

     "Yeah. Are you?" She asked, turning to face him.

     "Yeah, I'm fine." He nodded.

     Sage rubbed her ear lobe harshly, in hopes of extinguishing the ringing acquired from the loud explosion. Murphy winced, feeling the back of his head which had slammed against the sand. Sage was fortunate enough to land atop of the boy, fortunately her head hit his chest and she was only injured waist down. Unfortunately the boy acquired a larger weight in his fall to the ground, wounding him further.