chapter fourteen.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.
i'll be there for you. 

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

Sage and Murphy were no longer on the shore and had moved up further towards some foliage, a strategy Sage suggested to avoid battling with the high tide when it emerged. The pair had also taken care of their injuries, with the little makeshift equipment still carried by Sage.

They laid in the foliage for a while, both resting after tending to their wounds. Murphy slept for awhile, during this peaceful time, Sage took it is a chance to braid the boy's hair, not realising how long it had grown during the past week or so.

During his slumber, Sage took the time to watch the ocean or whatever body it was before her. She gazed at it for god knows how long, awestruck at the sight of the moonlight glistening over the frightening but somehow mesmerising waves overlapping each other. It didn't matter that it was still her biggest fear, she had to admit it was stunning.

The boy stirred in her lap, causing her to sit up slightly. He gazed up at her with such admiration, Sage felt her neck involuntarily heat up.

"Hey." She greeted softly, pushing back a few pieces of hair from his forehead.

Murphy didn't say anything but simply hummed in response. His eyes fluttered shut and he manoeuvred his head so it wasn't in her lap but now pressed against her stomach, as if he needed to be closer to her.

"What time is it?" He questioned, manoeuvring his body into a more comfortable position.

"I'm not sure, around dawn though. The sun's coming up." Sage informed him, her eyes drifting to the water which was formerly graced with the moonlight but was now painted in apricot tones as the sun peeked cheekily on the horizon.

"Mmhmm."

"I'm still pissed at Jaha." Murphy muttered bitterly, still refusing to lift his head from her lap.

"Honestly I'm not surprised. I had a feeling he'd betray us." Sage shrugged, continuing to play with his oily hair.

"And you're okay with that?" He questioned, addressing her seemingly nonchalant attitude.

"I'm used to it." She shrugged again, not meeting his eyes despite being fully aware they were focused on her.

"You're used to being betrayed?" Murphy asked softly, although he already knew the response she would give.

"Betrayed, let down, forgotten. You name it." She listed sadly, fully aware how pathetic she sounded.

Murphy was silent for a moment, unsure how to approach the girl and her situation. "You don't deserve that." He muttered. Sage looked away.