Chapter 3

I could not see it when I was around him, or in the stories I had heard. So, I was now hunting for the truth. My friends Kendra and Salt were dressed in brown, murky dresses to fit in with the working women of the common streets.

We walk together with our hair braided and our arms embraced at the elbows.

"This way," Kendra leads us, "I've been watching him for weeks now from this tavern garden."

"Do you think the gossip is really true?" Salt asks with a quiet shrilly voice that was too cute.

"He is just a man hiding behind lies upon lies upon lies," I snap.

"Don't be so bitter," Kendra shakes her head at me, "Zarcar is either everything they say, or everything not said, or both. Your change worries me, Nexy."

"What change, I have not changed!"

"You've lost all connection," Kendra challenges me, "He confuses you. No one ever confuses you."

"Chyronex," Salt is only twelve and she's always looked up to me as a mentor, she looks up at me now with wide amber eyes, "Do you think we're all going to burn?"

Kendra has led us to the tavern gardens, and with Salt's words, she pulls her aside into a booth of wooden chairs, slapping a hand over her mouth.

"Do not utter those words again," Kendra hisses at her.

"What does she speak of?" I ask, confused.

"A new female..." Kendra gulps and avoids my eyes before I grab her wrist and force her to tell me, "A new moon guide, from Zarcar's army. She is his little slave. Andoll, she... well... she whispers every night around town that the priestesses will all burn," Kendra rolls her eyes, "It's all utter nonsense. She's crazy."

"What do you mean... his slave?" I ask, "Andoll?"

"Do not believe it, please," Kendra begs me, "Not you too..."

I glance between Kendra and Salt who watches me, eager for my reassurance.

"I do not understand why our city is being overrun by this army," I explain, shrugging, "But I do know I will not allow harm to come our way, I promise," I nod to Salt, glancing at Kendra, "What do you truly think of Zarcar?"

"Unreadable because he keeps to himself about everything personal," Kendra takes a seat and motions through the shrub next to us, which leads to a meeting square in the centre of the city, "He trains his army here once a week to intimidate," Kendra explains, "I watch and try to learn while I drink ale and then something stronger. I hate violence."

"Violence isn't bad when necessary," I murmur, one of my sayings.

Salt giggles.

Kendra glares at me.

"You'll do well not to believe in nonsense like that," Kendra growls at me.

"Shut up, a sun priestess will always cower from a fight."

"We negotiate," Kendra snaps.

"Well I fight," I snap back.

"Will you fight him?" Salt asks me, nodding through the bushes, "Zarcar?"

I turn my head and my eyes widen.

I see him.

There he is, and again, he looks different. This time, his black cape is gone. He is bare chested, holding a sword in either hand as he leads a huge tirade of soldiers.

My mouth gapes as Zarcar strolls forward with a portion of his army.

Kendra watches me suspiciously.