Chapter 24

"This is the perfect place to practice Shifting, wouldn't you agree?" Lixar asks me as we arrive at one deconstructed part of Swendula where the buildings were vacant from a catastrophic fire many years ago. It was considered cursed so no one came back to rebuild.

It's haunting as the stones are tarnished brown-black, while even the green hasn't grown from the ashes. An old inn was basically razed to the ground, a bunch of stone village houses only had their front facades standing. At the end of the area, nestled at the back by the 40 ft wall surrounding Swendula – is an old temple ruin.

Round and held up with pillars, the inside has no roof top and the floor is marble, cracked in places by the heat of the fire that scorched through.

"This is indeed, perfect," I murmur to myself with forced enthusiasm, knowing this was a well isolated part of the town to dally in such demonic magic. If I was to shift into a demon monster, at least no one in town would see.

Andoll runs up the steps at the entrance and heads to the middle of the temple, sitting crossed legged, she closes her eyes and hums a tune.

"What is she doing?" I ask.

"A lullaby for baby demons," Zarcar explains, "Helping lure them here. Daytime demons do exist."

"Here we are," Lixar has appeared around a corner from inside, holding rusty iron chains with shackles.

The ones he was chained in.

"Chains already?" I ask, glancing at Zarcar who walks beside me.

"Yes, my sweet darling," Zarcar turns to me now and I to him. Lixar sighs in annoyance as Zarcar leans down, holding my gaze, he doesn't blink as he commands, "Today you must promise me. Do as I say – at all times."

"I already do," I complain.

"Today your obedience is more important than ever," Zarcar keeps him calm, which is odd for him.

When I glance at Lixar, I see him walk down the steps with his chains wrapped around his forearms.

"In your demon from," Lixar takes over, "You will lose control. We all do. But you won't lose your hearing, or your ability to persuade the demoness. The force of your instincts will feel like another soul inside you, but it's the powers granted to you. To control them is your biggest feat you will face... it is near impossible to control," Lixar looks at Zarcar, who hasn't stopped assessing my facial reactions.

"I'm listening," I murmur, "What do you really want to say, Zarcar?"

"He has to tell you the truth," Lixar speaks for him, "And he doesn't want to."

"The truth?" I raise a brow.

"The chances of you showing control are one in a million," Zarcar forces the words out, "And depending on how much you lose control... could mean the difference between Rey giving a kill order... or... putting his trust in you. In your form you will attempt to murder him. You must. Not. Attempt such a thing. Or he will use it as an excuse to have some fun before he kills you –"

"Would you not protect me?" I ask, aghast, "If you're my Venatores – you would not protect me?"

"She has a point," Lixar tries to rub it in.

"Shut up," Zarcar holds up a hand to Lixar and then backs off from me, looking me up and down, "Undress... more than any love for you, Chyronex... Rey, must, live. Or we all die, every single one of us," Zarcar explains.

"Not this again," Lixar rolls his eyes.

"We all die if Rey dies –"

"It's not real," Lix growls, "He says that to control you."