Chapter 16

Sexual Content | 18+ 

Zarcar holds my hand tight as we arrive back at the Moon Tower. After a good walk in silence, we finally ascend the steps to the top level. I'm about to pull from his firm grip when Zarcar suddenly diverts us to our favourite window instead of the bedroom. I keep my hand in his and my captor pulls me in front of him to look out at the night sky.

Instead of speaking, I lean back into his front and feel his arms slip around my midnight blue gown, around my waist. Each palm grabs one of my wrists and holds my arms in front of me. With that gesture, once again, I feel as if Zarcar is protecting me from something.

"What did you see?" Zarcar asks quietly as I stare up at the sparkling sky, the stars so bright as the clouds finally clear... after we've arrived back, I might add.

"The sky," I whisper.

"Chyronex," Zarcar breathes my name with steady impatience, "You know what I mean."

When I had used my magic to help me see a slither of the truth... of who he really was.

"An eye... diamond shaped... long... surrounded by polished black-brown... scales," I shrug as I say it, "It was barely an image and one I don't understand."

"You spent a day in a dungeon only to use magic as soon as I took you out, should you spend a night back in that cell?" Zarcar asks casually while he holds me back against him. It irks me that he has to bring up the dungeon stay, in order to avoid what I've revealed and I try to pull away but he holds me tighter, "Answer me, Chyronex."

When I say nothing, Zarcar surprisingly and slowly releases me.

He takes a step away from me and I turn to see him reach up to his tied hair. He releases his dark brown locks and watches me with mild irritation.

I still say nothing.

The warlord watches me steadily.

I am silent as I cross my arms over my gown and purse my lips.

"Sweetheart," Zarcar is surprisingly gentle as he speaks slowly, "You must obey me. Now that you've met Rey, it's vital you listen. Especially now that tomorrow you will formally kneel and supplicate yourself to your new King."

"Is this about your reputation as his favourite commander of his army?" I ask, raising a brow, "Is this about you?"

"When I'm made your Master and Keeper before the public eye, you will live a long, stable life. However, rebelling... you'll end up dead and at best, you'll get a life like Lixar," Zarcar admits, "Obeying me will save your life."

"And here I was thinking you would bore of me after you stole my virginity last night," I whisper these words with a lilting question at the end.

I flinch when Zarcar goes to take a step forward, but he stops himself when he witnesses my reaction.

"Did I hurt you? Last night?" Zarcar asks, raising a brow.

"You lied to me," I murmur.

"I had my reasons," Zarcar murmurs back, finally losing his remaining patience, "Let us discuss inside the room by the fire where it's warm," he steps aside and holds out an arm for me to go first.

I keep my chin up as I stroll past.

"...don't you need to train me tonight...?" I ask.

"Yes, as a matter of fact," Zarcar turns to follow me as I slip through the door and entre the bedroom. I see something completely unexpected, "I do."