Chapter 33

Zarcar eventually found my skulking form outside the Moon Tower and he led me a short walk down into an awaiting carriage. We sat opposite one another and neither of us spoke. My arms were crossed and Zarcar was looking out of the window, always about to speak, but then holding his tongue.

I'd attack and lose my temper if he tried to reason his reaction away now, so he was indeed smart for keeping it in until later.

"We're arriving at the premises, Warlord Zarcar!" the driver of the wagon turns the carriage down a tightly paved road that curves through an overgrown green garden.

I look out the window and I see a black gothic mini castle that bordered the river which wound its way through Swendula's centre. The black stones were hugged by green vines and many influential guests were already walking in.

Only the high born were attending this welcome dinner for Torrent.

I see one mess of brown hair at the steps and she wears a golden lacey dress that looks two sizes too large. I assume she stole it.

Andoll waits at the steps, practically drooling when Zarcar stands first and opens the door. He waves to her and he holds out a hand behind him towards me. Zar hesitates when I do not grasp it.

"...come on ... you first," Zarcar stands back, forcing out the polite words.

Without looking at his perfect face in his perfect suit, I lunge out of the doors and head straight for Andoll.

She nods in approval of my dress and fishes out a piece of root from her bra. She hands me the Horse Root.

I promptly throw it into the garden.

"Not needed, but thank you," I walk past her as she snarls and then clutches onto Zarcar's arm.

I walk up the steps, barefoot once again.

I pass the butlers and servers, refusing drinks as I promptly decide to lose myself in the crowd.

Many rooms held groups of people, while one spacious area held a ball room of some kind with a large long balcony overseeing the river.

I head to one corner of the packed ball room and I stand there, as still as the decorative pillar beside me.

The whole inside of the castle was contrastingly white and grey, compared to the black stones of the outside. I watch from my corner as every man and woman ignore me but pay me some respect. In other words, they don't bother to stare or watch me with judgement. They ignore me, respectfully enough.

Eventually I see one head of hair bobbing towards me through the crowd.

Zarcar has tracked me down quickly and he almost apprehends me, until Lixar appears from nowhere and intercepts.

With a hand on his shoulder, Zarcar stops and looks over everyone to grasp my gaze.

Zarcar holds my stare and gives me a generous glare, a warning not to try anything funny.

Lixar glances at me for a brief second but them turns to Zarcar, speaking about something else.

They turn and Lixar motions Zarcar towards the other end of the ball room. I follow with my eyes. I see a table set up on the balcony in the furthest corner opposite from me. It was luxury privacy for the two men already there.

I see Rey lounging back on a fancy throne, scowling as he listens to the words of the man opposite him.

I can't see his face, I can only see his back.

His entire uniform is star white edged with silver, like his hair, which lies in a fairly wavy, combed style to his shoulders but no further. While this man was seated forward, I could not tell much besides the fact he equalled Zarcar's large warlord physique.