Chapter 12

The morning starts fresh and smells like spring. I only learn it's distinctly real when I wake up and I see brand new pots of daisies growing in the window sill.

As for last night, it had been one hell of a slumber and I had only awoken when the ropes around my ankles had been loosened and removed – by maids.

It had been embarrassing to be awoken that way, but even after I shouted at them to leave the room, the maids could not listen as Zarcar had demanded they clean the place first.

So, I stood awkwardly in my transparent crimson night gown by the daises as they removed the bath, made the bed, swept the floors and dusted a few things while also replenishing the fireplace with fresh wood.

The final touch is the watering can one maid leaves next to the pots, while murmuring something about Zarcar gifting it to me.

"Are you done?" I ask the last maid and servant of Zarcar, a young woman, who nods at me and shyly reaches into a back pocket on her multilayered work dress. I narrow my eyes as she walks forward and hands me a note before running off in fright as the skin of my hand brushes against her fingers, "Close the door... please," I call out and the maid shuts it for me before I finally let out a sigh and turn back to the bed.

I put down the note without opening it and turn to the wardrobe instead. I pull out the bottom draw and grab a bronze dress, nice and loose. It floated to my ankles while having a deep cut through my breasts. Believe it or not, it was more acceptable attire than my usual choices, but today I choose it just because I like it. Not because of him.

I grab a black ribbon that goes along with it and tie it around my waist, around and around like a corset. I finish the tie with a bow at the back.

I turn towards the bed now and the note. I was trying my best to ignore the new addition of plants in the window sill.

I think about ignoring the note but my fingers itch with curiosity. Sighing heavily, I pull myself onto the bed and pile up the pillows on the headboard so I can lean back into the mini nest of softness. I bring my knees up and rest my forearms on my knees as I hold the note.

I quickly sniff it to see if there are any strange curses upon the paper.

It was clean.

I snap open the note and instantly scowl.

Two stupid words.

Your reward.

I scrunch up the paper and then glare at the pots of white pretty flowers.

"Chyronex," I nearly jump out of my skin as I glance up to see Holden peeping through the door as he holds it open a crack, "Morning."

"Come in," I try to compose myself as Holden cheerfully flings open the door and steps into the daylight.

"Do you like them?" Holden nods to the daisies, "They suit you –"

"What do you want, guardian of my body and soul within this tower?" I ask with a sickly sweetness.

"A request, actually," Holden shyly coughs and avoids my eyes as he looks at his shiny brown boots, "I'm to take you into the city to watch Zarcar train."

"Why would I want to do that?" I ask.

"To get some fresh air."

"Has Zarcar gone mad since he fell in love with me?" My play on words shock Holden into gaping and snapping his chin up.

"Wha-?!"

"I kid," I drawl, smirking as he blushes, "But please, inform Zarcar I will not..." I snap my lips shut, "Uh...I'm ready now," I make a bold decision to jump up off the bed and grab Holden's outstretched arm.