Chapter 22

"Are you nervous?" Rey asks, his hands so still by his side, it gives me the impression I'm in even more danger. It would be far more comforting if he fiddled with something, or looked away from me. You know, so I didn't feel like the absolute centre of the universe when he stared at me like that. It was unnerving. His unexpected presence in my room was also unnerving. I didn't know what to think, other than I was at my wits end.

"Of course I am," I respond smoothly while slowly walking to the fire... one step... another... I glance at Rey and then at the fire, then back into his silver, black inked eyes, "...you're my new King and I wish to please you."

My whole plan was simple since storming from the dinner with Zarcar and Lixar, just to meet Rey alone in the bed chamber, completely unexpected.

So. I had to bluff. Everything. Even though I knew nothing; thanks to Zarcar's limited teachings.

"...and why would you be nervous if you never heard of my army or kingdom before Zarcar over ran Swendula?" Rey asks with the slightest jut of his chin. This was a test.

"People fear what they do not know," I answer quickly.

Rey doesn't respond right away. He watches me as I keep glancing at the fire, hoping it provides some sort of distraction. I watch the flames lick over the logs and I feel comforted. I was drawn here. It felt safer than the icy cold aura leaking off Rey's entire physique. His pale skin was deathly white. His black hair was well kept, his suit just as un-offended by the weather or the earth.

It's like nothing touched him

Or he wasn't of this land. This earth.

Rey strolls towards the window and my eyes zone in on his steps. Quick and simple, he looks up at the night sky and one of the eeriest smiles I've ever seen, tugs at the corners of his mouth until he's smiling at the Moon.

I wait, licking my suddenly dry lips... as Rey continues to stare at the Moon like I would. My fascination with the moon was something only I enjoyed. Watching it for hours at a time.

"Rey," I speak his name, lightly and he turns to me with a sexy smile and a raised brow.

"...yes?" he seems extremely pleased that I've asked a question. That I've been forward and decided to direct the conversation.

"Are you a demon?" I try to keep it a light question, as I was genuinely curious. I knew he was described as the bastard son of a demon but that is all I knew.

As the words leave my lips... the masculine chatter on the rooftop seems to come to a dreary halt as if magic encases our conversation to hide it from prying ears.

Rey's lips twitch down, for a second. He watches me as if I've probably asked the very question that would get me killed. I stop breathing as I witness him glare at me with such hate. Such loathing, rolled into arrogance and disbelief... until he pauses a moment longer as if realising I was indeed innocent in asking the question.

"...do you feel it...?" the Immortal King whispers the question, but it hits my ears in a direct hiss.

"Feel what?" I ask, too tightly.

"The Awakening?" the King tilts his head further to the side, his locks of hair strangely unmoving in the wind before he starts closing the distance one step at a time.

My eyes zone in on his feet, covered in black shoes that were so shiny I could almost see the moon reflected back at me. I only glance up when he stops just in front of me, enough to give me the slightest feeling that I could jump away if I wished to try.

But I had the inner knowing that it was the very reason to stay still and prove him wrong.

I didn't know what the Awakening was, other than Rey mentioned it when he half choked me at the throne in front of thousands of Swendula citizens.