Chapter 26

We all return to the Moon Tower and that's when we part ways. At least... that's when Andoll scuttles off. Lixar proclaims that he wants to stick around as I struggle to keep pace with Zarcar who has walked briskly ahead of us this whole time.

When I reach the top of the tower stairs with Lixar in tow, I find Zarcar at our favourite window.

When Zarcar swivels toward us, he's already glaring right over the top of me, straight to his cousin.

"Before you go off," Lix murmurs, slowing down as I take a few more steps forward and then awkwardly stand in the middle of them, "I think we should talk about Torrent arriving at the end of this week. A couple of more days and then we'll be three Mystifyers joined in a Venatores."

"I wonder if Torrent will even show," Zarcar replies, dryly and without humour as he faces the window again, consumed by memories of his older brother, "Torrent would sooner wage war with Rey, then join with him."

"The Surge of Hemon is the only reason why he's coming... Rey is building a defence line, clearly. He can Command them... those demons... but for some reason... he wants a Venatores obediently under him as well."

"What will happen when the Surge begins?" I ask, confused, "Is Rey against it or for it?"

"I –" Lix begins, but can't continue.

"Shut it," Zarcar snarls over the top of his cousin, "I will tell Chyronex everything I know in time."

Lixar goes to speak, but we're interrupted by maids running up the stairs with buckets of hot water for the bath.

We all go silent as they walk by and I make the decision to take us to the rooftop.

I flounce to Zarcar's side and duck under his arm, jumping onto the window, "Let's go," I slip to the jutting stone ledge beneath and hold the window sill to gaze at the irate but tired Zar and the equally irate but tired Lix.

I didn't want them to fight. I wanted them to co-operate.

"You're my Venatores," I add, before I slip away to lead them to the top, "Follow me."

My simple words has Lix wheezing to keep in a delighted chuckle and Zarcar growls, in both acceptance and annoyance.

I'm glad Zarcar doesn't reach out and stop me from leading them, however.

So, I creep along the stones then haul myself up to the rooftop. I sit on the edge a bit further down, waiting for the Mystifyer's to join me.

Zarcar jumps up next, fighting back words as he grumbles and sits down to the right of me, curious of what I'll say.

As Lix follows, he slides into my left.

Now I have 2 shirtless Mystifyer's on either side of me.

Hmmm. How delicious.

I was also somewhat disappointed I didn't get to see them Shift.

"I wish to speak," I say gently enough as I boldly reach out and grasp both their knees. Zarcar is so shocked, that he's lost for words for a few seconds. Lixar just remains silent, curious what I'll say. I quickly get the words out before my Warlord ruins my moment, "We're a team. I may not know much but we should trust one another. I trust Zarcar. I trust you enough..." I glance at Lix, "Tell me about Torrent. What's he like?"

"No," that's Zarcar's answer.

"Uh... nah," Lixar also replies after a few moments of thought.

"Well, this was useless, I'm going to go have my bath," I take my hands from either of their legs... but that's when Zarcar goes to grab my elbow... and Lixar reaches to grab my other arm.