Max Getting Sleep? It's Less Likely Than You'd Think.

A week after the events of last chapter...

Preston walked into school at 1 p.m and handed his excuse note to the man at the front desk. After being cleared to go to class, he ran to his calc class and handed another note to the teacher. All the kids stared at him wondering where the hell he had been all week. Preston ignored the stares and pulled out his missed work and his workbook to take new notes.

Class seemed to be over in like five seconds. Preston packed up his stuff and before he could leave, Ms Normand stopped him to apologize.

"Preston, I feel awful about last week. I'm sorry that I made you take that call and everyone saw you cry," Ms Normand said. 

Preston's eyes darted around the room. Tears were already forming in his eyes. "Ms Normand, it's alright. I'm glad I found out then instead of an hour later. And my classmates seeing my cry is literally the least of my problems right now." 

"You don't have to be rude about it," she scoffed.

Preston groaned. "Look, I just came from my grandmother's funeral and I'm very upset because I've lived with her for 3 years ever since my parents kicked me out. So now I'm trying to figure out my living situation, because my parents won't take my back and all the rest of my family lives way upstate. I have been crying all week and I have been holding back tears ever since I arrived here. I don't need your bitchy attitude or shitty apologies in my life right now." He stormed out of the room and slammed the door.

***

Max walked into the library study room they claimed during study hall, sat down and yawned. Nikki was diligently working with headphones in, and Neil was fucking around on his phone. 

Neil looked up from his phone and saw Max looking miserable.. "Was Eva crying all night?"

Max nodded and sighed. "Ugh. Yes. My room is right next to her's and it's terrible. I fucking hate it. I haven't slept since I stayed at your house on Sunday."

Neil chuckled. "You can stay over again if you want."

Max shook his head no. "It's okay. I'm going to Nikki's apartment tonight. We have a date and I'm probably just gonna crash there."

Neil glanced over at Nikki, then back at Max. "Is she okay with that?" He asked.

"Probably not, but honestly I'm already set on the idea," Max shrugged. He looked over at Nikki and smiled. "God, she's so pretty."

Neil rolled his eyes and responded, "Cool."

"No, really. She's the prettiest fucking person I've ever met." Max gushed. "Nikki," he tried to get her attention.

Nikki looked up from her work and noticed that Max was trying to talk to her, so she took out her headphones. "Hmh?"

"How's your ankle?" Max asked.

Nikki groaned. "It's shit. I miss volleyball."

"I'm sorry baby. You'll be back soon though, right?" Max tried to comfort her.

"Hopefully. I have an appointment to get an x-ray to see if I have to get surgery or not. But I hate this frickin' boot," Nikki complained. Max frowned and walked over to kiss her.

"Ew," Neil muttered.

Max raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Never mind," Neil smirked.

"You're a dick, Neil," Nikki said and flicked his forehead.

"Ah! Nikki I told you not to do that," he grunted.