Halloween Special

The final bell rang and Neil bolted out of his classroom to meet up with Max and Nikki. They had plans to get ready for the party that night at Neil's apartment, and they were going to walk there together. Neil pushed open the front doors of his school and shivered. Their high school was stuffy, so they didn't need heaters in the Fall, but that made it so the transition between indoors and outdoors was extreme. Halloween had approached quickly that year. For their friend group, Halloween brought peace among them. They forgot any drama and turned into spooky beings. Max waved Neil over.

"Hey dude, you ready to go?" Max and Neil did a handshake and Nikki rolled her eyes.

Neil nodded. "Yep."

"I'm so excited!" Nikki exclaimed, and with that, they began walking.

"So," Neil started, "What did you guys decide to be?"

"I'm being a sexy dog. Like Gretchen from Mean Girls," Nikki smirked, and Max sneezed. "Oh, hail Satan babe."

Neil snorted. "Jesus Christ."

Max wheezed. "Says the Jew."

"Fuck off," Neil scoffed.

With that, the three were all hysterically laughing until they reached Neil's place. Neil held open the door for his friends and they all set down their bags, and Neil turned on Frankenweenie, their favorite movie to make fun of. (Max liked that it had 'weenie' in the name.)

"Hey, do you guys remember that guy Preston was dating last year?" Neil asked.

"Henry?" Nikki tilted her head.

Neil nodded. "That's the one."

Max raised an eyebrow. "Why are you asking?"

"Oh, well Preston was telling me he moved back to town," Neil said. "And he found Jesus or something, and he was saying homophobic stuff during their French class."

Nikki snorted. "That's actually really sad. But it's damn funny."

"Oh wait... he's in my PE class. He called me a fag yesterday," Max chuckled. "Funny, because I get more pussy than he ever will."

"What did you say back to him?" Neil asked.

Max chuckled again. "I said, 'Funny, because I get more pussy than you ever will.' Coach Steve yelled at me. It was great."

"Do you guys think people at school are to scared to bring up that he dated Preston?" Nikki wondered.

"Nah... it's just awkward," Max replied.

Neil agreed. "Yeah. Anyways, hurry up. We gotta be out of here at six if we're gonna buy candy."

Max and Nikki nodded and finished getting ready.

They finished getting ready and they headed out. They walked six blocks to the CVS and bought shit tons of candy. Neil, being the responsible boy he was, bought the candy and gave his friends the talk. 'Don't do anything stupid while you're fucked up.'

It was a nice night. It wasn't too cold, it was only around 60. They decided to walk to the place their party was at. Max intertwined his fingers with Nikki's. Neil felt lonely. They noticed the hundreds of kids passing them, trick or treating. They saw dozens of FORTNITE costumes, but also saw some plain costumes, like Disney Princesses or Superheros. Nikki received some disgusted looks from parents, while little boys came up to Max and said how cool he looked in his Mad Max costume. Babies and toddlers pointed at Neil and giggled at his Shark onesie. Although, Neil was always stared at by small children.

After wandering around for an hour, they finally found the building. It was on the opposite side of the street they had thought, and Max called Neil an idiot. They rang the buzzer and were let in by Kaylee Parish, the host. Nikki placed the bags of candy on the dining room table and pulled Neil and Max over to the drinks.