CHAPTER TWO.

TO KILL A CHEERLEADER.

CHAPTER TWO

        I couldn't believe two days had passed already.

        The "cool kids" (that was what I referred to them as) were really fun and awesome. They were friends with practically everyone... at least everyone. The nerds and geeks were bullied, I don't even know if they had friends.

        Oh yeah, I had started dressing differently now. Stacey, Kelly and Chloe had taken me on a shopping trip and had given me a makeover.

        I was wearing blue skinny jeans and a sleeveless pink top. I didn't quite dress like the others, they showed out more skin. I felt awkward wearing clothes like that. The girls said I was taking baby steps into their world, soon I would be wearing clothes just like them. I hoped not.  

        Whenever I asked them about the boy i had seen on the first day, everyone changed the topic. I wondered why. But I didn't really put much thought into it. 

        I had also joined the cheerleading squad. Yeah, Yeah. I know what you're thinking. How could someone like me, Melanie Sanders, a nerd, be on the cheerleading squad? Well...to tell the truth, I was in the cheerleading squad, but I wasn't doing acrobatics or screaming out the name of the team, I was the Mascot. 

        I was supposed to be a cougar, but I think the costume looked more like a dog-jaguar. Kelly was the one who brought it up, she said they needed a mascot. It was kind of embarassing at first, but then I started to have fun. No one knew who it was in the costume, so I could do all kinds of whacky stuff. 

        I also became really popular in school. Everyone wanted to be friends. Everyone except that guy I had seen on the first day. I barely saw him and he never talked. Probably because he had no one to talk to. He was always by himself. I felt really sorry for him, I knew what it was like to have no friends. All of my friends stopped talking to me after the...incident... in my second school. I always planned to go speak to him, but I never got the chance. After all, I barely saw him.

        Okay, back to the present. The lunch bell had just rang. Dave and I were walking to the cafeteria. I had to resist telling him about Kelly. She hadn't told him about her "relationship" with one of his "best friends" yet. I wondered if he would ever find out about her relationship with his second best friend.

        'Melanie,' Dave asked suddenly.

        'Yeah?' I replied.

        'My parents are out of town for the weekend, so i'm holding a party Friday. You're coming, right?'

        'I'm not sure if my mom would let me.'

        'Seriously, Melanie? None of us ask our parents if we can go to a party! We all sneak out!'

        'Wait, what?' I asked surprised. I had never once sneaked out of the house. 

        But then I thought, Hey, there's a first time for everything.

        'Sure, i'll come,' I said.

        'Great, be there by eight. Ok?'

        'Okay,' I replied happily.

        Little did I know going to that party would be the first mistake I ever made. 

***