CHAPTER NINE.

TO KILL A CHEERLEADER.

CHAPTER NINE.

Chloe's P.O.V.

        I looked at my watch. 6:55 p.m. 

        Cheerleading practice ran fifteen minutes extra. I went to the changing room and took out my normal clothes. It was a relief to get out of this cheerleading outfit, which was basically two pieces of cloth with designs covering my privates.

        I put on my jeans and pink sweater and started walking home. Since my house was only two blocks away from school, I told my parents that I would walk home everyday from school, since it would be a bother for Dad to drive the car two blocks down the road.

        Good God, I was feeling really cold. How come the place was so cold? 

        I wrapped my hands around my sides. 

        Suddenly, someone held onto my arms.

        I gasped and spun around. 

        It was Melanie. 

        I hadn't spoken to her since Dave's and Kelly's breakup. The entire group was avoiding each other. I didn't expect everyone would stop talking to each other when I had told Dave the truth about Kelly. I was avoiding Melanie because I knew she had gotten the blame for what I did.

        'H-Hi,' I stammered. 

        'Hey, Chloe,' Melanie said cheerfully. 

        Somehow she looked... different. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. She seemed a little too cheerful.

        'Let's walk together,' Melanie ordered. 

        She held onto my hand and pulled my along with her. 

        I shivered. Her hands were extremely cold.

        I couldn't believe it, I was feeling scared of Melanie for some reason.

        'So what do you think of that new girl in school? What was her name, again? Tori Spencer?' Melanie chatted. 

        'Um, she's okay,' I said, not sure of what else to say.

        We walked in silence for another few minutes. We crossed the road. 

        Only two blocks from home, I thought with relief. I wanted to get away from Melanie.

        'You know,' Melanie said suddenly, 'I wasn't the one who snitched on Kelly.'

        I didn't reply. 

        Why was Melanie asking me this? I'm sure she knew I was the one who told Dave about Kelly. 

        'It was you,' she said calmly.

        She stopped walking. I stopped too. 

        'I-I'm sorry,' I stammered. 

        She slowly turned her face towards me. 

        'And if you didn't snitch,' she said quietly, 'I wouldn't be dead.

        I looked at her face.

        Fear gripped my stomach and I screamed. 

        Her pupils were red. 

        She smiled.