11

rosie's p.o.v

i try my best to ignore my dad for as long as possible, and let me tell you it wasn't easy.

first of all there was the numerous crashes downstairs, shouts that would shake pepper and i from whatever we were doing at the time. pepper would usually go and check what was going on whilst i stayed upstairs.

then there was the time that obadiah came round and they argued, obadiah lying to his face about the directors trying to lock him out. he believed him of course, but i think i must've swayed him a little because he wouldn't let his long-time friend see what he was working on in his lab.

and then of course, there was last week.

i had been playing piano in the living room, singing along with the soft music. music soothes me when i'm stressed, like i said before. i haven't been to school since the whole afghanistan incident, dad won't let me, and so instead of academics weighing on my shoulders it's the fact that time is running out for me to figure out how to stop obadiah as an eight year old girl who absolutely nobody listens to.

it was midway through a song that i started to glow red.

my eyes widened at the aura around me which screamed imminent danger. panic flooded my senses and i jumped away from the piano as if it was the source of harm. i thought my instinct was stupid, why on earth would the piano be about to kill me, but as soon as my butt hits the oak flooring and i'm a meter away, the red disappears. holding my arm in front of me, i frown at the light that isn't there anymore, thoroughly confused.

that is until a flash of red and gold crashes through the ceiling, right through the piano, landing on top of a car in the lab.

flustered, i sped down the stairs, concerned that my only remaining family member on earth just kicked the bucket. as soon as he moved though, i was reassured that he was very much alive and anger boiled my blood once again. i had to force myself to leave the situation before i did something stupid, very aware that my powers are currently kind of unpredictable and tend to fluctuate with my emotions.

he shouted to me as i left, i didn't hear what he said because i kept walking.

i haven't said a word to him since the whole press conference thing, and the longer i leave it the harder it gets. at this point i don't have a single clue what i'd say, it's just so awkward. for that reason, though not that reason alone, i certainly wasn't expecting him to burst through my bedroom door at eleven pm.

i'm on my laptop, researching and gathering as much information as possible on obadiah. i can't find too much, and i'm 100% planning on hacking into stark industries next. as soon as the door flies open i slam the lid of the computer down and look up in shock.

and there he is, suit and all, just stood in my bedroom doorway.

he pauses there for a moment, as if he isn't quite sure what he's doing. "shouldn't you be asleep?" he asks suddenly and i pull a face because he suddenly cares. suddenly, my bedtime matters to him more than his flashy metal clothing.

"it's not like anyone checks anymore" i respond quickly, not attempting to disguise the anger in my voice.

it clearly has the desired effect because he freezes again before mumbling something along the lines of "is pepper here?" but i can't really hear over his deafeningly apparent intimidation by an eight year old. i'm satisfied with my work, but then i think about how close we were before this whole ordeal and my mood drops a little.

"no she left hours ago" i run a hand through my hair "she said she'd be in early tomorrow though".

"then we're going out, put on a dress and meet me at the door" a smile is forced onto his face. in amongst my confusion at this sudden outburst, i have to wonder when things got so awkward. i mean i know exactly when things got so awkward, but how the hell did it happen?